Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, just started using linux and I'm confused

Beans

Re: Help, just started using linux and I'm confused

I have been using XAMPP on windows for my web server. Is XAMPP something that is packaged with Ubuntu? If so, how do I find it?

Thanks

Beans

The package I am trying to install is XAMPP. It might be in the Ubuntu distro but I haven't found it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by dakingsella View Post

Code:
    dakingsella@dakingsella-870-241:~$ cd /home/downloads
    bash: cd: /home/downloads: No such file or directory
    dakingsella@dakingsella-870-241:~$ cd /home
    dakingsella@dakingsella-870-241:/home$ ls
    dakingsella
    dakingsella@dakingsella-870-241:/home$ cd /dakingsella
    bash: cd: /dakingsella: No such file or directory
    dakingsella@dakingsella-870-241:/home$

Dave
    for me this will work,
    it should be;
    Code:
    cd '/home/dakingsella/Downloads'
    Just don't forget to the single quote. from the start of the location folder address and also the the end.
    Just try it. It will direct you to your downloads folder
    Welcome to the Linux world. Have fun and Good Luck!.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have been using XAMPP on windows for my web server. Is XAMPP something that is packaged with Ubuntu?
    You're not on Windows anymore. This is Linux here. Apache, MariaDB, PHP, PERL all exist as native packages here. So if you want Apache, MySQL / MariaDB and PHP then install those packages. If you still insist you want to install "XAMPP" instead of familiarizing yourself with the proper way of doing this, then you can follow instructions such as this one:
    https://vitux.com/ubuntu-xampp/

Just saying: I wouldn't do it this way. If I want Apache + MariaDB I just install what I need via the package manager. That way I'd also get patches and updates. This local installation via download package will not benefit from that and it's a security breach waiting to happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Proper way of doing a LAMP stack on Ubuntu:
    https://upcloud.com/community/tutori...-stack-ubuntu/

Beans

That was the instructions I was trying to follow when I encountered my lack of knowledge of Linux.
    Last edited by dakingsella; June 2nd, 2021 at 02:28 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the input! I really would prefer to install each component seperately, but could not find them. I'll go look again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the input! I really would prefer to install each component seperately, but could not find them. I'll go look again.
    All the necessary packages are in the normal Ubuntu Repos. You don't need to download anything directly. Use "apt" or "apt-get" or Synaptic to install software.

I don't exactly know what XAMP is, but if it uses nginx instead of Apache, and Perl instead of Php, and MariaDB instead of MySQL then I've been running that setup for over a decade. There is probably a meta-package (that's a virtual package that includes other packages as dependencies). That meta-package will setup each of the installed parts so they know about each other. I'm 100% positive that LAMP has this. The command for linux, apache, mysql, and php to be installed and step is:
    Code:
    sudo apt install lamp-server^
    That trailing carrot is correct.
    Setting up something to work is just the first step of many required steps. A working LAMP server isn't a secured LAMP server. Lots of security things need to be added.

On Windows, LAMP is called WAMP?

BTW, none of these things is really beginner friendly. All the configuration is done in a shell, like a programmer would expect. To my knowledge, there isn't any point-n-click solution that can be trusted to setup all this stuff.

Here's the book I used in my beginning Linux classes: http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php . There are many others, but all of them will leave huge gaps in knowledge. After almost 30 yrs, I figure I know only about 10%.

Beans

Thanks

Beans

Thanks for the information....very helpful!

A little about my background, i am a retired technology manager. Came up through the ranks, started as a computer operator in the USAF, have a AAS degree in computer technology, worked as a programmer/system analyst, moved into management.

I have worked in many different environments, IBM mainframe and mid-range computers, client/server environments, etc.

I had a linux server up and running at home for a few years about 15 years ago, but got busy and abandoned it. Have forgot everything I knew about Linux, and Linux has changed a bunch since I was playing with it.

I have been running a LAMP (XAMPP) server on my Windows desktop but that is not ideal so decided to re-purpose one of my old computers as a Linux server. Just getting back into it, and my mind isn't as young as it used to be. XAMPP is a package of Apache, PHP, and MariaDB.

I appreciate your response,

Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast