Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross referencing folder so size can be chnaged

Beans

Cross referencing folder so size can be chnaged

Example
    I have a folder - file manger tells me "LIBRARY".
    The "properties " tells me the partition size.

That is all I know about it . NO location properties.

I want to change the size.

So I click "Open in Disks"

Disks open and I get
    " No disk selected" or something like that.

At this point I have no idea WHERE "LIBRARY" actually resides.

Is there a way to accomplish the task of changing the size of "LIBRARY ' in Ubuntu
    using GUI ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Cross referencing folder so size can be chnaged

If the partition is mounted, the command df will tell you where it's mounted. Just focus on the /dev/sdX entries. The rest of the entries aren't pertinent to your question. Another option is to run "sudo fdisk -l" which will provide a census of all the block devices in your system.

I wouldn't try to do any of this from a GUI. It's so much faster from the command prompt.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    If the partition is mounted, the command df will tell you where it's mounted. Just focus on the /dev/sdX entries. The rest of the entries aren't pertinent to your question. Another option is to run "sudo fdisk -l" which will provide a census of all the block devices in your system.

I wouldn't try to do any of this from a GUI. It's so much faster from the command prompt.
    What you are indirectly saying file manager (GUI) button to open "Disks" (GUI) is worthless "feature".
    Also I am not after ALL block devices , I just want to identify the partition and resize it.
    Speed is immaterial, finding the partition IS.

I guess my expectations are little too high.

CASE CLOSED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by anneranch View Post
    What you are indirectly saying file manager (GUI) button to open "Disks" (GUI) is worthless "feature".
    No, what he was saying is that what you wrote up there was too vague. If you are talking about GUI stuff you could at least have posted some screenshots maybe? We don't have crystal balls, we can't see what you see. There could be a million reasons (e.g. OS is installed in a different language?) why we can't immediately comprehend what you mean.

Resorting to text commands has the advantage that those commands are universally valid, e.g. it does not matter what language we or you use - the command will work and produce output that can be analysed. Also copying + pasting text is perhaps easier than working with screenshots.

Try to see it this way. We can't help you if you don't provide precise information.
    Last edited by scorp123; June 2nd, 2021 at 10:56 AM. Reason: grammar corrected

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    No, what he was saying is that what you wrote up there was too vague. If you are talking about GUI stuff you could at least have posted some screenshots maybe? We don't have crystal balls, we can't see what you see. There could be a million reasons (e.g. OS is installed in a different language?) why we can't immediately comprehend what you mean.

Resorting to text commands has the advantage that those commands are universally valid, e.g. it does not matter what language we or you use - the command will work and produce output that can be analysed. Also copying + pasting text is perhaps easier than working with screenshots.

Try to see it this way. We can't help you if you don't provide precise information
    Did you actually read the original post ?
    Last edited by deadflowr; June 7th, 2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: fix quote bracket

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Where is Library showing in the file manager?
    Note that there is no such directory called Library in Ubuntu, so it's either a directory you created or it's a directory or something mounted from elsewhere like a network share.
    Are you accessing network shares?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Humor me and open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T, then run "df". What do you see?
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 7th, 2021 at 08:05 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by anneranch View Post
    Example
    I have a folder - file manger tells me "LIBRARY".
    The "properties " tells me the partition size.

That is all I know about it . NO location properties.

I want to change the size.

So I click "Open in Disks"

Disks open and I get
    " No disk selected" or something like that.

At this point I have no idea WHERE "LIBRARY" actually resides.

Is there a way to accomplish the task of changing the size of "LIBRARY ' in Ubuntu
    using GUI ?
    If LIBRARY really is a folder, as you have called it, you can not change its size either by GUI of by command line; a folder is simply that, a folder or named place in which you can place files or subfolders and its size will be dependent on what it contains.
    If I use a right click on an empty folder in my file manager and view Properties I see in the Size box "1 Item, totalling 0 bytes"; in the file manager size column it shows as 4KiB.

From all of this I think you may be confusing files, folders and partitions; what we need to be sure of is which of those your LIBRARY actually is.

If it is a partition you may be able to change its size but we do need to know exactly what we are dealing with here.
    What do you see if you left double click on the LIBRARY, or single click if you see it in the left hand pane of your file manager? Does it open and show anything?

The output from that df command may indeed be very useful so please show us that as soon as possible.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; June 7th, 2021 at 08:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

It could be a device with "LIBRARY" as its label.

Beans

If it is a folder the full path would be useful.
    The OP does seems a little touchy though.

Folders is not an especially *nix term. Mostly they'er called directories. They contain files (virtually everything in *nix acts like a file). They will grow as more files are added to them, until the device (usually a partition) is full, you normally do not need to increase the size of a directory.
    Partitions are mounted onto a filesystem at a mount point, so the full path is needed to determine which partition any directory is located in. The df command (among others) will give you that information.
    Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; June 9th, 2021 at 06:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast