Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ultra thin laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: ultra thin laptops

i am imagining a future xkcd. frame 1: guy 1 holds out his hand with a dot in his palm and says "1536GB 48TB and 168 hours on one charge". frame 2: guy 2 holds out his hand with a dot in his palm and says "mine blows that away". frame 3: guy 1 holds out his hand with an empty palm and says "i guess so". frame 4: guy 2 is still holding his and says "you got a cord to plug this in?".
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans

I don't think there is a need to use laptops thinner than the MacBook Air

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Still waiting for that two-dimensional laptop. Three dimensions are overrated

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My biggest concern with "thin" laptops is durability. They're not building them with Titanium, that's for sure... usually it's plastic. On the more expensive builds, it's aluminum, and that an only get so thin before it's easily bendable.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    My biggest concern with "thin" laptops is durability. They're not building them with Titanium, that's for sure... usually it's plastic. On the more expensive builds, it's aluminum, and that an only get so thin before it's easily bendable.
    that's one reason i am worrying. i think thinness is not engineering driven but marketing driven to look like engineering driven. the thinner they get, the flimsier they will be. when they are paper thin, will they bend like paper, even if made of titanium? i can imagine people wanting to fold them up to smartphone size and pocket them. and the smartphones will be thin, too.

imagine a smartphone that unfolds into a laptop? no doubt it will happen.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

well yes, they already have bending screens and rolling screens. so it would make sense to have some sort of roll out laptop.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

[QUOTE=Skaperen;14049250]that's one reason i am worrying. i think thinness is not engineering driven but marketing driven to look like engineering driven. the thinner they get, the flimsier they will be. when they are paper thin, will they bend like paper, even if made of titanium? i can imagine people wanting to fold them up to smartphone size and pocket them. and the smartphones will be thin, too.[QUOTE]

I used to work at an Audio/Video Store. They carried assorted brands of LCD / LED televisions. When you get into the 55"+ sizes, you can see them flex a bit. It wouldn't take too much to "torque" the television and break it. Thinness may be marketing madness that comes from panel manufacturers like Sony, Samsung, and LG.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    imagine a smartphone that unfolds into a laptop? no doubt it will happen.
    It almost has at this point. Like Mastablasta said:
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    well yes, they already have bending screens and rolling screens. so it would make sense to have some sort of roll out laptop.
    They are now making laptops without keyboards... just one big foldie-screen.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro

and the keyboard is just a "roll out some more" touch-sensing screen that displays the keyboard layout for your configured language.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

While I like hardware keyboards, I think soft keyboards are a lot better to use for other languages than Alt-Gr or alt keys.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hwt View Post
    While I like hardware keyboards, I think soft keyboards are a lot better to use for other languages than Alt-Gr or alt keys.
    Whereas I agree with that statement. Sometimes... you just gotta have a REAL keyboard in order to get some typing done.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast