Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ultra thin laptops

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: ultra thin laptops

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    my point is that manufacturers keep promoting how thin their next models are. if they really can do that, year after year, then they could be getting very thin. when will it stop? will people care if they can do paper thin? how thin is "too thin"?

right now i'd like to get a thick laptop. 50mm

the problem is they do now have a good feature to offer. size is the most noticable. if i tell my boss i would like an i5, 16 Gb ram and at least 512 GB SSD it would be like i said "beepiddy boopiddy boop". but if i said i would like the latest thinner one.. well that makes sense, right since you move arruond, right. urgh. anyway size is easy to explain and sell to consumers.

anyway good thing they still have business grade laptops for people that actually need work to do. they will have easy to upgrade disk port, ram, battery can be detached, there might even be a VGA port, full keyboard, DVD even...

i am not a fan of silly features. they figured out how to make them smaller & more difficult to repair, but they haven't figured out how to disable the camera via hardware switch.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i am not a fan of silly features. they figured out how to make them smaller & more difficult to repair, but they haven't figured out how to disable the camera via hardware switch.
    At nearly every conference I've been at the last 7 yrs had some vendor giving away plastic laptop camera sliding covers. I've got a few from the Linux Foundation. Swag is good, though I still play with the el-cheapo lightsaber swag from time to time. Good lights, good sound effects. Whooooooosh

Or use some electrical tape, folded over onto itself where it meets the camera lens. Wouldn't want to gum up the lens.
    For external webcams, just unplug the USB plug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have an HP laptop that is really thin. It is fast because it has Intel Optane and a 10th gen I5 in it. The downside is it's a throw away device. It's nice now because it works but when it breaks it will go strait into the trash. I can't seem to take a modern laptop apart without breaking it these days, they just are not user serviceable anymore. I bought a display model at half price and the guy gave me additional money off on top of that. I have all the plastic spreaders and tools to work on laptops but almost always something breaks that I can't get replacement parts for.

The Fu summed things up very well! Manufacturer's make laptops so thin so you end up buying a new one when if breaks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    I have an HP laptop that is really thin. It is fast because it has Intel Optane and a 10th gen I5 in it. The downside is it's a throw away device. It's nice now because it works but when it breaks it will go strait into the trash. I can't seem to take a modern laptop apart without breaking it these days, they just are not user serviceable anymore. I bought a display model at half price and the guy gave me additional money off on top of that. I have all the plastic spreaders and tools to work on laptops but almost always something breaks that I can't get replacement parts for.

The Fu summed things up very well! Manufacturer's make laptops so thin so you end up buying a new one when if breaks.
    I've replaced SSDs, RAM, and batteries in my thin laptops. So far, attempts to replace the keyboard have failed, but I have a replacement keyboard that needs to be installed right now. I'm still hopeful, but fearful too. Replacing the keyboard on these ultra-thin laptops is usually $30 for parts and $100 for labor. I miss the days when it was $30 for parts and 5 minutes of my time to do the replacement. My last attempt took over 2 hrs and ended up with a bricked laptop. The battery was disconnected so long as to make the replacement firmware I was running invalid. It would only boot with the original OS, but I'd physically modified the device (write protect electrical connection removed) which prevents using easy-flash to get everything back. An EEPROM writer for the specific chip is required - more $$.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't think people set out to buy thin. People (like me) set out to buy small. Thin is just a sale pitch that comes along with small. Has no real meaning except for no dvd. Thin also means less backyard mechanics popping the hood; have to take it to a factory rep. Skaperen said he like his 50mm thick. 50mm for the metric impaired is same formula x4; divide by 2.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i don't need thin. i don't even need small. i like a big display. so what i want is light weight. but that's probably going to be achieved with thin and small. too thin and i can't hold it. too small and i can't hold it or type on it. and i'd like to get 128G RAM and 8 cores at under 30 watts.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd rather have light over thin, but I'd rather carry a spiral notebook than a hardcover 4x thicker. Small is in the eye of the beholder. 15 inch seems small, if you are used to a 24inch monitor. But if you are used to 11.4inch screens, then 13.3 inch seems like a nice upgrade, especially if the resolution is increased.

If having a DVD player is required, then that's the requirement. My DVDs are all in a box, in the attic. They were ripped years ago and placed onto the network server for access. Same for 1200+ music CDs. Boxed, in the attic.

Around the house, I don't really use the laptops. My desktop in the office has a nice setup, IBM 101M keyboard (from 1996), dual monitors, plenty of speed, plenty of RAM, and fast networking. No laptop can come close. Laptops are all about compromise. Compromise on features, user comfort, performance, expand-ability, upgrade-ability and price.

That's the reality.

Beans

I long for a move to the past, where I could spend reasonable money on something that was great, and not just a marketing exercise that'd shaved 1mm off its size and dropped 20 minutes battery life.
    ______
    Whenever I feel bored and need to get entertained, crypto sports betting www.bitcoinbuster.com is always the best choice for me where I have smooth and stress-free experience. Additionally, If you keep an eye out for ongoing promotions, you may receive extra winning chances.
    Last edited by terame; June 15th, 2021 at 12:19 PM.

Beans

Yes, now there are less and less really technological solutions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jolibe View Post
    Yes, now there are less and less really technological solutions.
    it's like cars. no one is working to resolve the obviously good features. or they charge them extra for no reason, while having other unnecessary stuff included in price. so the sales guy goes you can set different AC temperature on right and on left side. so i asked what about in the back seat where the kids are? can they at least regulate the flow? well... no, but you have an entertainment system installed and you can also add it to the back.

same here. we have laptops that are not ergonomical and have limited screen site. despite the many advancement in various hinges, despite the bending screens available... i mean wouldn't it be great if when you opened it you would have propper sized keyboard pop out and the screen would get into correct position for normal work and into larger size than 15" or 17"?? i think razer had osme prototype with folded screen that could pop pout to large size.

or what about if you could easily access and replace all components and if they would be all in standard size?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast