Thread: Acid Rip DVD ripper

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Acid Rip DVD ripper

Hello,
    I need to backup my DVDs as soon there will be no way to play them on the computer. I do not intend to break the law, they are just for me. I have used Make mkv which is fast and easy but the subtitles were added automatically. Acid Rip seems more versatile. I managed to get a decent result with Acid Rip but the subtitles were added automatically also and it was 4:3 scale!.
    I have read what I can find on the net and now know to tick the sub file box setting, but one detail is puzzling me still. Do I need to alter the subtitle box from <None>? The subtitles are in English for the hard of hearing so do I keep the language which is <Default> (English)?
    Also for SCALE, it seems i have to leave "crop" ticked and at 0, and click 'Detect' so that the scale is like the original, ie. 16:9, and untick "scale". Can anyone confirm this?
    I tried Handbrake but it didn't work and I do not want anything too complicated.
    I tried Avidemux to get .mp4 from my DVD TS_ file but it took ages and came out as 4:3 scale.
    I also have VLC but it looped on the menu of the DVD all morning, I found out too late... so not sure how to convert /backp that way.
    Anyway, I'm sorry if I have sidetracked a bit, but just to show I have tried stuff but am no geek!
    If anyone can give me a simple solution, and especially explain the settings of Acid Rip, which seems a good solution to me, I would be extremely grateful.
    Thank you for any help.

Later: tried acid rip with crop and scale unticked, sub file ticked and subtitle entry as 1:English:Normal_CC. It got rid of the sub titles but still comes out as 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9. I tried changing the scale or crop boxes to get a 16:9 ratio but to no avail. The boxes would not take my new numbers. I tried crop to W:912 x H:513 etc but the second number jumped back to a 4:3 ratio each time. same problem in the scale section. Please help!
    So can anyone help me with the scale problem? Thank you.

Later again: I have found I can take off the subtitles of my original .mkv files with mkvToolNix so have solved the problem even though it takes a little more time.
    I would still like to be able to solve the scale problem in Acid Rip which would mean just using one program. Thank you for bearing with me.
    Last edited by HC48; May 28th, 2021 at 05:35 PM.