Thread: IRC Move to Libera

Beans

IRC Move to Libera

This is a mirror of the post here: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/irc-move-to-libera/22472

You might or might not have followed the recent happenings around the freenode IRC network that was seemingly taken over at the beginning of the month …
    If you go join #ubuntu on freenode, you will notice it automatically forwards to ##ubuntu. This is because freenode declared all topics pointing to new channels on libera to violate freenode policy, and used that to deop channel operators, take over the channels, and point them to new channels.

These channels that demonstrate this behavior are now not owned, operated by or affiliated with us in any way.
    In that light we have followed suit with many other opensource projects and moved to irc.libera.chat where you will find us in the #ubuntu channels as usual. We have migrated many of the previous channels and bots, but as this developed sped up our move, things are still a little rough. Please bear with us, and we’ll get everything unboxed soon. Also, expect a post soon for some documentation editing fun, to update the many freenode references in places like the wiki,

Here is a direct link to the channel via a web client.

If you use a native IRC client https://libera.chat/ has the info you need to adjust your configuration…
    We will be updating our DNS pointers today, so if you haven’t registered on Libera yet, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible. Thank you for bearing with us, and please reach out with any questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: IRC Move to Libera

Exactly the sort of behavior we might have expected if the departing Freenode staff were being honest about what was going on, so an apparent confirmation of their fears.

Do you know if there will be any action by Canonical since they, not Freenode, own the Ubuntu trademark, or will they just drop it and move on?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Since this is a discussion about irc, I have never used irc, but I a have couple of questions.
    What does one use irc for?
    I know it is used for communications, but is the recipient-to-be on the other end waiting on a page?
    How is it different from email and sms messages?
    What do use for your irc client?

If this post should have its own thread, the moderator has my okay to move it.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    Since this is a discussion about irc, I have never used irc, but I a have couple of questions.
    Sure thing.

It's a real time chat protocol. It's quite old and servers like freenode and others have been around for quite a long time. For example, The Debian project has their IRC channels hosted over on the OFTC network.

I know it is used for communications, but is the recipient-to-be on the other end waiting on a page?
    It functions like a chat room where any messages you send are sent to everyone. There are Private messages available as well and those are sent directly between users.

How is it different from email and sms messages?
    I suppose you could say it is similar to a group SMS message except you can have people join or leave the group at any time. It isn't like email in that regard either, since email is usually send to a particular person. Email mailing lists do exist, but they aren't really for real time communication.

Personally, I'm using Hexchat and I have been using it for decades apparently (I first registered on freenode back in 2010 or so). There are a huge number of different clients to choose from, based on what you want to do.

Here's a short list of them: https://libera.chat/guides/clients

If this post should have its own thread, the moderator has my okay to move it.
    I think it's OK here. Many users might hear about this IRC move and have no idea what it is either.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

To give some perspective on how crucial IRC is to the ubuntu eco-system:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/ChannelList

-life without
    is UN-thinkable-
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

@CharlesA, thanks for answering each one of my questions.

@Bashing-om, thanks for providing the links.

Both of you helped.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I usually sleep my box overnight, so my `hexchat` starts when I wake the system.. On a new login, `hexchat` is usually in the first 5 programs I start.

Me, it's usually in the background... I'm currently in 50+ rooms (that should reduce once remaining freenode rooms move to libera) over 3 networks
    - libera (ubuntu rooms mostly)
    - oftc (debian, lxqt)
    - freenode (old ubuntu rooms, esp. rooms that haven't yet moved)

If someone wants to speak to me, they'll use my username & a star trek deep space 9 ambient noise sound plays (its near 4 minutes long, easily ignored but I usually notice it; unless I'm watching star trek at the time). I'm involved in Ubuntu News, so that's one room, I'm involved with Lubuntu, thus that's a few rooms etc...

If I have questions I want to ask other team members, I ask them in an appropriate channel. I don't expect an immediate response, but usually when people do reply they'll use my name so I'll know to look due to the DS9 sound track playing, and when I click on `hexchat` the tab where I was pinged will be bright green (with my chosen color scheme). If I miss the DS9 sound; the hexchat logo on my panel flashes too.

If I want to catch up on where others are, or help with support, I scan the various rooms & answer any questions from other users I can...

I've had questions and asked in a specific [team] room for clues/assistance.. and often get members of other teams replying to my query, often with far more detail that I was expected (saving me more work). IRC is a great way to feel the wider Ubuntu community in my opinion. I'm likewise found too in rooms where I'm not an member, and will help out there too when I'm able.

The biggest mistake I see newbies use is they aren't patient enough. Most of us using IRC are doing other things & only scanning at the IRC client occasionally. Many newbies enter IRC, ask a question, then when they don't get a response in 30-60 secs leave.. A response will come, but it may take minutes, sometimes 60+ minutes too. It's a great tool.

Note: When I'm offline, as I don't use a bouncer I don't see anything that's said; however for some rooms I could scan telegram to look back, or if it's a logged room I can scan irclogs but I much prefer IRC to alternatives to telegram personally (it's less ideal for graphic/meme/social-media type pictures; but better for text communication; trying to navigate). I'm usually connected ~16-18 hours a day