Thread: NVME and SATA dual-boot how to

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

NVME and SATA dual-boot how to

Many struggle with this issue. Motherboard manufacturers give options to disable sata drives, often on an individual basis.

As for as I have been able to ascertain NO manufacturer gives that same option for NVME (M2) motherboard connectors.

Here is a simple work-around for others like me who clone drives and want to boot into a sata drive on occasion instead of the NVME drive.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....3#post14039563

As you will see, in certain configurations you can also boot windows 10 from a usb attached drive.

Cheers Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr KDE Neon 20.04 Focal/Win 10 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng ES8000 Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: NVME and SATA dual-boot how to

Quote Originally Posted by vidtek View Post
    Many struggle with this issue. Motherboard manufacturers give options to disable sata drives, often on an individual basis.

As for as I have been able to ascertain NO manufacturer gives that same option for NVME (M2) motherboard connectors.
    To be honest, I had the opposite opinion about desktop motherboards which allow more than one drive to be connected.
    I thought that isolating each drive was a fairly widespread feature.
    Although, now, I reckon the way each vendor implements the UEFI firmware is more of a consideration.

My weapon of choice at the moment is an Intel NUC8i3BEH approx 2 years old.
    Internally, it contains a SATA port for a 2.5" SSD and a M.2 slot for a M.2 drive or NVME drive.
    I have installed a Sandisk 2.5" SSD and a Kingston NVME.

The UEFI firmware allows me to independently isolate, de-activate or disable either drive.
    I can also disable both drives and use an external USB stick or drive.
    Lastly, I can run an OS externally via a NVME drive in a suitable enclosure. (connected to the USB C port on the back panel).

I would doubt that Intel are alone in allowing this facility.
    Last edited by tea for one; May 23rd, 2021 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Grammar