Thread: Is it possible to copy files from USB digital microscope?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is it possible to copy files from USB digital microscope?

I am planning to buy an USB digital microscope camera (rather cheap one though portable)
    and at main vendor's website the system requirements for it are generally varieties of Windows.
    I suppose there will be a CD with the drivers for Windows shipped also. Apart from using the microscope
    only on Windows virtual machine, can it be expected that the microscope would also connect to Ubuntu
    normally via USB (at least for copying images from the camera)?

For example, I didn't install KDE Connect Indicator app on PC Ubuntu 20.04 distro, but have a similar app installed
    on an Android phone. Yet after connecting an Android phone via USB Ubuntu opened the folder with Android
    files normally for copying. Can it be supposed that the same would happen upon connecting a microscope camera via USB?
    Or should I search for additional microscope drivers for Linux? Or search for USB microscope cameras explicitly supporting Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is it possible to copy files from USB digital microscope?

If it's a cheap microscope, I would guess it uses a cheap/commodity webcam sensor. My guess is that you have a reasonably good chance of it working out of the box, and be able to see the images with a webcam app like cheese. But I am only guessing. Other opinions may be much better informed than I am. It is certainly worth searching for ones that explicitly support Linux, to remove doubt.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is it possible to copy files from USB digital microscope?

A friend has a $30 cheapo "microscope" like this. It appears as a webcam in Linux, so cheese and guvcview and obs or any other Video4Linux2 software can be used.

The key question is whether Video4Linux2 supports the device or not. I'd use lsusb, get the USB identifier and look at whether that is supported on Linux or not by drivers included in the kernel.