Thread: is there a way to make Thunar's window size permanent?

Hybrid View

Beans

is there a way to make Thunar's window size permanent?

I'm running Xubuntu 20.04. I customized Thunar's window size like this:

I went to /home/~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar.xml and edited these values from 640x480 to 798x547 and restarted my system.

Code:
    <property name="last-window-width" type="int" value="798"/>
    <property name="last-window-height" type="int" value="547"/>
    However, sometimes I would resize Thunar by accident with my mouse. So, is there a way to make the window size permanent?

The behavior that I'm looking for is like when I resize Thunar's window size by accident, my customized window size would be brought back after I close Thunar's window.

Beans

Re: is there a way to make Thunar's window size permanent?

How about writing a a simple script that sets the properties and starts Thunar ?
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/xfce-conf --channel thunar --property /last-window-height --set 547
    /usr/bin/xfce-conf --channel thunar --property /last-window-width --set 798
    /usr/bin/thunar $*
    Save that in a file in ~/.local/bin/ and make it executable. Copy the desktop file for thunar from /usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/. Edit the local desktop file and change the 'Exec=' line to call the script instead of calling thunar directly.

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    How about writing a a simple script that sets the properties and starts Thunar ?
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/xfce-conf --channel thunar --property /last-window-height --set 547
    /usr/bin/xfce-conf --channel thunar --property /last-window-width --set 798
    /usr/bin/thunar $*
    Save that in a file in ~/.local/bin/ and make it executable. Copy the desktop file for thunar from /usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/. Edit the local desktop file and change the 'Exec=' line to call the script instead of calling thunar directly.

Holger
    Didn't work though.

Beans

As a test, I edited the executable to see if it will change Thunar's window size:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/xfce-conf --channel thunar --property /last-window-height --set  640
    /usr/bin/xfce-conf --channel thunar --property /last-window-width --set 480
    /usr/bin/thunar $*
    It didn't work.

Beans

please replace 'xfce-conf' with 'xfconf-query' ... for some reason I always misremember that particular command, even if I just had that error and corrected it.

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post

please replace 'xfce-conf' with 'xfconf-query' ... for some reason I always misremember that particular command, even if I just had that error and corrected it.

Holger
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /last-window-height --set 547
    /usr/bin/xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /last-window-width --set 798
    /usr/bin/thunar $*
    Thank you that worked.