trying to install dual boot with windows

Device name DESKTOP-JGH4I3Q
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.86 GB usable)
    Device ID 90517A0C-3341-4D9E-AA22-95CA110A5C4E
    Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA541
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
    With configuration like this, which version of ubuntu should I install?Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: trying to install dual boot with windows

Moved to a thread of its own.

Please don't hijack other people's threads. Not only it dilutes community effort but it's also the wrong way to get the proper and adequate help to your problem.

Beans

You haven't indicated which release of windows you are using but, if it is windows 10, the site below gives complete instructions on the process which would be a good starting point. Also note the difference between UEFI and Legacy installs explained at the site.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The question isn't so much the version of Ubuntu to install. You install the latest LTS version, which is 20.04, released in april 2020 (version number is just the year and month) and supported for 5 years. A new LTS version is released every 2 years. Or you can install the latest interim version (21.04; new release every 6 months), which only has 9 months of support, so it's a bit more upgrade work to keep it safe and running, so not the best choice for a new user. But on brand new hardware, it may be better. Only if you have some special demands you should consider a different version.

The question is more what flavour of Ubuntu to install. There are various flavours with higher or lower demands on your system, all using the same core components. Your hardware is sufficiently powerful for all of them, so you can pick the one you like most.

Regular Ubuntu has the highest hardware requirements, the others have lighter requirements but only get 3 years of support for the LTS versions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

An advantage of Ubuntu (or disadvantage) is you have the choice of different flavors.

https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours

A flavor is a different desktop gui and default applications. Some flavors are more lightweight for older less capable systems.
    I have a similar Haswell system and it can run any flavor, but I prefer Kubuntu. I used to install Ubuntu, but change to a different gui called fallback/flashback that was similar the old versions of Ubuntu. Ubuntu like Windows has gone thru several default gui implementations but the underlying Linux operating system is the same in all flavors.

For the cost of a little time you can download a flavor and install (not copy) ISO into flash drive as live installer. That is a way to test in live mode and try a version to see if you like it. It cannot updated as it is the installer.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Moved to a thread of its own.

Please don't hijack other people's threads. Not only it dilutes community effort but it's also the wrong way to get the proper and adequate help to your problem.
    Thanks admin, I'm new to the forum