Thread: What battery saving tools does Ubuntu Mate include?

What battery saving tools does Ubuntu Mate include?

Hello. I installed Ubuntu MATE because I heard it has some battery tools included by default. I used it for a bit on my Gateway laptop and... it has the best battery of any distro I've ever tried. 5 hours without TLP or auto-cpufreq. Disabled turboboost, then installed TLP and autocpufreq and I was getting 10 hours of battery life, twice as long as Windows.
    But I have the specs for KDE so I want to use Kubuntu on my workstation laptop instead.
    As the title suggests, what tools does it have so I can add them to Kubuntu instead?
    Last edited by oldfred; May 17th, 2021 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Edited

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What battery saving tools does Ubuntu Mate include?

I don't think Ubuntu Mate has any special batery saving tools, at least I've not seen any. Can you provide the source of the info.
    If you want to use Kubuntu, go for it. Its power usage should be comparable.

Accidentally posted twice, sorry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

There is a lot of nonsense in that article, so, don't believe all you read on the web.
    I think you'll get comparable results with most modern desktop distros. They all have kernel level power management, like CPU+GPU frequency scaling, and user space options, like screen brightness and suspend to RAM.
    Different Desktop Environments usually do not affect power usage, so it wouldn't matter if you use KDE or Mate, XFCE or LXQT, etc.
    As said above, if you like Kubuntu better then Mate, go for it.