Thread: imap server for mail archive

Beans

imap server for mail archive

I'm considering setting up Ubuntu on a VPS, to replace my current managed shared server account. I've managed Ubuntu on the desktop before, but I'm new to using it on a server.

I'm using Google Workspace to send and receive my current mail, but I archive mail to an imap instance on the shared server. I'll need something basic to replace it; something that will communicate with Outlook on my desktop via imap, and permit me to copy email from the Google account to the imap folder on my VPS server. I won't need SMTP; no mail will be sent from the account, nor will it receive mail - it will get there via a SSL transfer from Outlook.

I can do something like this on my Windows desktop, using hMailServer. I'm basically looking for a linux equivalent to hMailServer. Can anyone make a recommendation?

adTHANKSvance,
    Dan

Beans

Re: imap server for mail archive

The absolutely easiest mail system to set up is Citadel. Get it at citadel.org and run the Easy Install script. It will have more features than you need for less hassle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I would say that Dovecot is the main candidate, followed by Courier and Cyrus. All of these are in the repositories.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Server Platforms.

Beans

Thanks for the responses - I'll review the options. -Dan