Beans

crontab @reboot fails to run

Hi Team,

I am running 20.04.2 server

sudo crontab -u www-data -l:

# update gn with latest additions and deletions
    0 * * * * /usr/bin/php7.4 /var/www/html/gnb/index.php cron index junk
    # clean up sessions older than 2hrs
    5 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23 * * * find /var/www/html/sessions/*/* -mmin +120 -exec rm {} \;

cat /etc/cron.d/start_on_reboot:

SHELL=/bin/sh
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    @reboot www-data /usr/bin/php7.4 /var/www/html/gnb/index.php cron index junk

I can see following syslog entries:

May 17 19:53:01 ikserver2 cron[544]: (*system*start_on_reboot) RELOAD (/etc/cron.d/start_on_reboot)
    May 17 19:56:39 ikserver2 cron[581]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
    May 17 19:56:39 ikserver2 cron[581]: (CRON) INFO (Running @reboot jobs)
    May 17 19:56:40 ikserver2 CRON[736]: (www-data) CMD (/usr/bin/php7.4 /var/www/html/gnb/index.php cron index junk)

BUT nothing runs! I would expect to see:

www-data 1315 1312 0 20:00 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh -c /usr/bin/php7.4 /var/www/html/gnb/index.php cron index junk
    www-data 1316 1315 0 20:00 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/php7.4 /var/www/html/gnb/index.php cron index junk

I originally added '@reboot /usr/bin/php7.4 /var/www/html/gnb/index.php cron index junk' into www-data's crontab but still nothing.

Yes, I have read the manual.
    Yes, I have read extensive advice on the quirks of cron online.

This is rediculously hard. What is going on?

Please someone put me out of my misery!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: crontab @reboot fails to run

Why not a systemd.service and define a "ExecStop" condition (e.g. what needs to happen when the service gets shut down; this is analoguous to the old "init.d" kill scripts ...)? That's how I'd do that, not via "cron" ...

Beans

I'm kind of curious to see this script. I just did a man page search for cron, index, junk in the php page and found nothing. I'm not sure you are doing what you think you are doing? If the script isn't right it will show it run but it will have no effect.

For the record I'm not experienced in php.

Beans

Thanks for suggestions. I will have a look at the service options but still feel cron functions should do what I want?
    The command is actually running a codeigniter controller and works fine once system is up and running ie the normal cron hourly invocation works fine. It’s just trying to get it started in case of a reboot that is proving so difficult to solve. I did wonder if it was something to do with the startup sequence of apache and MySQL. If so how can I delay the reboot cron job

Beans

The common issue with cron is that there is no environment available so if any of the commands rely on information from the env, they will fail. You could try to debug you issue by creating a shell script that runs the wanted command and when that shell script works as expected, make cron run the shell script instead of the actual command.
    Have a ubuntastic day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by pcla56 View Post
    It’s just trying to get it started in case of a reboot that is proving so difficult to solve.
    Starting + stopping stuff is what systemd and its services are for and I'd use that. The hourly stuff is fine with cron.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nothing in /etc/cron.d/ gets run automatically. It is a directory just to hold scripts. Those scripts need to be invoked from somewhere else controlled by cron or anacron.

For reboot scripts, I'd add a line to /etc/crontab or the root's crontab (sudo crontab -e). Either of those will work. BTW, the userid to be used field is required for /etc/crontab, but assumed for crontabs in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/ based on the userid.

'find' has -delete, 100x faster than -exec rm ....
    I'd use
    Code:
     5 */2  * * * /usr/bin/find /var/www/html/sessions/*/* -type f  -mmin +120 -delete