Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kubuntu vs ????

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Kubuntu vs ????

So... I have been a Kubuntu user since 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron. Looks like we just rounded the Alphabet back to H for Hirsute Hippo.

Most of the features available in the Kubuntu distributions have been EXACTLY what I have wanted for many years. Most of the issues, (sound card drivers, wi-fi drivers) have all been resolved with kernel patches, and updated drivers, and I have had a great working distribution for over 13 years.

I am currently running 20.04.2 LTS, and am playing around with 21.04 on a separate partition. So far with 21.04, I have had two problematic "new-release" kernels, and had to go back to the previous one. But, I understand that 21.04 is an interim-release, and isn't necessarily 100% "stable."

So, needless to say, I am a huge Kubuntu fan, and happy user.

HOWEVER (is "but" in a Tuxedo)

Are there any other distributions out there that use a Minimalist Software Setup (Like Kubuntu Minimal Install), as well as just the basic KDE applications (again, like Kubuntu Minimal Install), that can measure up to Kubuntu 20.04.2, in terms of usage?

Now, this is not meant to be a "which one is better" thread, it is meant to point out differences in distributions, and personal opinions of preference.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Kubuntu vs ????

If I was replacing my Kubuntu LTS installation, I'd probably go with a Debian netinstall and add KDE Plasma to that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

PClinuxOS publish a minimal KDE ISO called Darkstar.

https://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180

It is one of the distros which include a built-in Remaster utility, so you can add/subtract packages ad infinitum.

Whether it compares favourably to Kubuntu 20.04 - as the market research survey stated 50% of those polled expressed a positive interest.

I just made up the last bit................

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    I am currently running 20.04.2 LTS, and am playing around with 21.04 on a separate partition. So far with 21.04, I have had two problematic "new-release" kernels, and had to go back to the previous one. But, I understand that 21.04 is an interim-release, and isn't necessarily 100% "stable."
    I'll dispute the "isn't necessarily 100% stable"

From your description you've had issues with the 5.11 kernel, which is the same stack 20.04 gets if using the HWE stack at 20.04.3. Ubuntu 21.04 just gets it first.

Releases are declared stable at release time, why there are freeze dates giving time to ensure stack is stable prior to the scheduled release date.

Either way you'll likely have the same issues with 20.04, if using the HWE stack once it moves to it... (it could be you're using the more stable GA stack on 20.04, but that's a choice you made, 20.04 being a LTS offers both stacks).

ps: I like Lubuntu, it's using the same Qt5 base and is lighter, though if using KDE apps that require KF5 the lighter LXQt will somewhat be moot.

Beans
    Distro

I don't get it. You're experienced with Kubuntu. You like Kubuntu. Why would you want to use something else?

Personally, the only thing that I'd switch away from Kubuntu for is KDE Neon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Moved to ULOS chat
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When talking about KDE the first thing(s) that come to mind is Kubuntu and KDE Neon.

KDE Neon's non-KDE bits are from Ubuntu 20.04, which you said works on your system. The KDE bits, however, is constantly being updated with the latest (ultra-latest or stable-latest). It's a very good semi-rolling-release for KDE goodness! It may be the smoothest choice for you until maybe 22.04 (that's the next LTS, isn't it?)

Otherwise when I have system-type of issues I go between Ubuntu, Fedora and sometimes openSUSE. In the past when hardware didn't work out-of-the-box (like Broadcom wireless adapters) I went between the distros to see who was the first to support them by default. For all of the issues I've had, it differed who "won" though once one distro got it, the others followed suit usually by the next release.

Fedora's KDE implementation is pretty good and at one point it included all KDE apps (Calligra office instead of LibreOffice for example) though of course you have the option to install anything.

I think Fedora does, and I am pretty sure openSUSE, provide an all-inclusive DVD or a net-based installer so that you can select what you want installed right in the beginning.

But for Ubuntu-familiar Kubuntu alternative you may want to look at KDE Neon.

Oh, and I don't remember if they include Snaps, or Flatpak by default.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro

Doe KDE Neon have some kind of minimal installation option like Kubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Doe KDE Neon have some kind of minimal installation option like Kubuntu?
    Does not look like it does specifically.
    • User Edition = stable
    • Testing Edition = pre-release
    • Unstable Edition = same-day pre-release
    • Developer Edition = like Unstable Edition but with development libraries included

It does run a Live environment so you can throw it on a USB and test it out and see what it does come with.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    I'll dispute the "isn't necessarily 100% stable"

From your description you've had issues with the 5.11 kernel, which is the same stack 20.04 gets if using the HWE stack at 20.04.3. Ubuntu 21.04 just gets it first.

Releases are declared stable at release time, why there are freeze dates giving time to ensure stack is stable prior to the scheduled release date.

Either way you'll likely have the same issues with 20.04, if using the HWE stack once it moves to it... (it could be you're using the more stable GA stack on 20.04, but that's a choice you made, 20.04 being a LTS offers both stacks).

ps: I like Lubuntu, it's using the same Qt5 base and is lighter, though if using KDE apps that require KF5 the lighter LXQt will somewhat be moot.
    Hey! Thanks for that. I didn't know how the kernel releases came out. That makes sense to release the newer kernel patches to an interim release before sending them to the LTS version.

I'm not disputing the way the function works. However, with 21.04, I have already had 2 Kernel Update patches that completely "borked" the system. Like a toddler with no shoes, I got "no bootie."
    However, when I booted to a previous kernel, everything seemed to work just fine. So, maybe "stablity" isn't the right word, because with the right kernel, it ran great.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I don't get it. You're experienced with Kubuntu. You like Kubuntu. Why would you want to use something else?

Personally, the only thing that I'd switch away from Kubuntu for is KDE Neon.
    Well... there are two problems here. I really like Kubuntu, and legitimately do not want to go with a different distribution.

The first problem is the direction that Ubuntu is going with Snaps... moreso, the direction Ubuntu has already gone with Snaps.
    I am not a big fan of Snapsl (yet). I like the idea of how they work, but they currently limit some system functions, and tend to launch slower than standard packages. Regardless... at this point, I would rather stick with standard packages.

Ubuntu just pulled a bad-bad with Chromium. The standard package for Chromium is no longer available. You can add a Chromium PPA if you like, but it does not matter. You can remove Snap itself, and it does not matter. When it comes to installing Chromium, you have NO CHOICE, but to install the Snap.

And to be perfectly honest, my second problem is that this doesn't bode well for the future... Removal of choice is really against most of the fundamental principals of GNU/Linux in general. I'm not going to go full on Stallman here, but a pretty popular application has just been thrown under the bus. This may be the direction Canonical goes with all of their applications. And they haven't worked out all the bugs yet.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast