Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new nvme and sata will not boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

new nvme and sata will not boot

I purchased a new Pioneer 250gb NVME drive, cloned my original Samsung sata SSD EVO 250gb to it and it worked perfectly first time.

This drive has neon 20.04 and Windows 10. It worked all the time I do not have the original sata drive installed.

I also bought a new NVME Sabrent 2tb Rocket drive so both M2 slots on my Asus Strix 270E are populated.

As soon as I insert the sata drive into the quick dock it no longer boots to either drive, all I get is the default grub black screen of nothingness. The same happens if I

use my sata docking station via USB, black screen with that super-helpful black grub screen.

If I remove the SSD drive all works ok.

I spent the morning playing around with bios options, changing sata cables over and the configuration is

now with sata 1,5 and 6 disabled, as sata 1 is required by the NVME drive, and 5&6 are required for x4 speed instead of x2 when they are enabled in the bios.

Also the PCI16 is enabled not the USB3 in the bios.

I have changed the UUID of the SSD so that is not the reason for the clash.

I want to be able to boot from either device particularly for cloning and backup, but it does not look as if that is possible with my motherboard.

Anyone any ideas?lshw_blkid.pdf

Cheers Tony
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: new nvme and sata will not boot

show out of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l and efibootmgr
    with all the drives plugged in

edit:try with live cd if you can't get a terminal prompt. Use VT if possible

Beans
    Distro

If the two SSD devices are really "clones" of each other, the partition UUIDs and other metadata will be the same on both devices. Not allowed. During the boot process when the O/S scans for storage devices the dupes are detected and since it doesn't know which to choose, it goes catatonic.

reformat the old SSD. If you need to have a copy of the files on the new SSD, use rsync to make the copy. That will solve the duplicate UUID problem and using rsync will preserve all the filesystem metadata like ownerships and permissions.
    Last edited by rbmorse; May 17th, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
    regards

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    show out of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l and efibootmgr
    with all the drives plugged in

edit:try with live cd if you can't get a terminal prompt. Use VT if possible
    Can't do it, no boot with the sata drive in either direct sata cable to mobo or via USB.

I'll give a live usb stick a go but I doubt it will work either.

Get back to you soon, thanks for reply.

Tony.

EDIT*****************

OK attached results.fdsk_efibootmgr.txt
    Last edited by vidtek; May 17th, 2021 at 04:31 PM.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans
    Distro

grub.jpg

Here is the dreaded black screen of grub I get. Sorry about the reflections, been ******* with rain all day then when I take a 'photo out comes the sun.....

Tony

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you type "set" from the grub prompt, look for the grub partition that controls your boot. I suspect its your neon.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    If the two SSD devices are really "clones" of each other, the partition UUIDs and other metadata will be the same on both devices. Not allowed. During the boot process when the O/S scans for storage devices the dupes are detected and since it doesn't know which to choose, it goes catatonic.

reformat the old SSD. If you need to have a copy of the files on the new SSD, use rsync to make the copy. That will solve the duplicate UUID problem and using rsync will preserve all the filesystem metadata like ownerships and permissions.
    Thank you for your reply.

I did wonder about the UUID's so I changed the UUID on the SSD sata drive. I have a dual quick release dock for https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Intern.../dp/B07WK2M9GR

When I changed the UUID I did wonder if it would affect windows10 activation status.....

Anyway it made no difference, still get the black screen of grub as per picture above.

Tony.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Here's a link on how to fix the minimal-bash prompt:
    https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to...rror-in-linux/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

To get around boot issue, boot live installer. Then post this in code tags, do not copy to another site.

lsblk -o name,mountpoint,label,size,fstype,uuid,partuuid | egrep -v "^loop"

How to use Code tags, # in advanced editor
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12776168
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12776168
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

VMC I can't see what the set command says it scrolls to bottom too quickly
    Last edited by vidtek; May 17th, 2021 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast