Thread: Ubuntu Server 21.04 Stuck Loading Installer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Server 21.04 Stuck Loading Installer

Quote Originally Posted by norsemangrey View Post
    I hope I am not the first ever to experience this issue
    Think I started a reply twice before, but ended up deleting it each time. If you aren't a "server" person already, then there is little reason to use 21.04 "server" over 20.04. 6 months of patch support really isn't worth the effort. The 21.04 is more for developers and testers, not for production. Production systems deserve LTS releases. People new to Linux should stick with desktop installs. We can still install all the server programs into a base desktop system. There's no special limit on which programs can be installed between desktop and server ISOs.

The new installer is VERY different. To check whether it is a HW problem, install 20.04 Server. How does that work for you? 20.04 has 5 yrs (4 yrs left) of no-hassle patch support. and perhaps 9 yrs of sign-up, hassle, patch support, remaining.

The 21.04 server installer was hiding some buttons way at the bottom of the screen during my install test. They were the normal "Done", "Back", "Cancel" options. Use a {tab} to cycle through fields.

I pulled the server ISO file down the week it was released. I just checked using zsync and there aren't any updates. 4/22 is the ISO date.

Beans

The 20.04 version seems to work fine. The reason I want to use 21.04 is because it has a newer version of ZFS. That said I am not new to Linux and have always used the server versions of Ubuntu as I am more comfortable with CLI. It is probably best to stick with the LTS in general, but I do not have any special hardware and it really irritates me that this is not working. I mean I am not even getting to the install so something weird is going on here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And the installation logs on a working vs non-working install? What's different?

Beans

How could I possibly see any installation logs when I not even get to the installer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by norsemangrey View Post
    How could I possibly see any installation logs when I not even get to the installer?
    Because you said:
    The 20.04 version seems to work fine.
    That means somehow booting into Linux off some boot media, choose "try ubuntu", mount the place with the prior, failed, 21.04 logs, and being able to review them. Any Linux distro with a "try ubuntu" option should work. I'm partial to Ubuntu-Mate, but anything from TinyCore to a full Ubuntu Desktop will probably work.

Or maybe just use the 20.04 install with a PPA to get a newer version of ZFS?

I don't use ZFS on Linux. Played with it on 20.04 and it did some funky things I didn't like and the system was crazy slow. Went back to LVM+ext4 and all was fast again. That's from about 10 months ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy and it wasn't with 20.04 server. I haven't moved to it yet.

The "Try Ubuntu" method is core to troubleshooting many issues - even just to see whether an incompatible driver was introduced to the kernel later.

Beans

Could the iso be corrupt? Have you tried a different iso or checked the installation iso you are using?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Could the iso be corrupt? Have you tried a different iso or checked the installation iso you are using?
    zsync will quickly validate a current .ISO file, if the sha256sum file cannot be found.
    Steps:
    1. get the zsync file from the same place as the ISO file
    2. place both into the same directory - they are from 4/22
    3. Run
      Code:
      $ zsync ubuntu-21.04-live-server-amd64.iso.zsync

Perhaps in the Advanced option of the grub menu, there is a checksum validation option. I honestly haven't looked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12