Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Makefile applications from Github won't run, open as text document

Beans

Re: Makefile applications from Github won't run, open as text document

Ha, I was able to install TinyEngine by installing that missing 'operations.hpp' library:

apt-get install libboost-filesystem-dev

Something must have gone wrong during the installation of the dependency 'Boost' mentioned in my oringinal post:

• Boost: apt-get install libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev

---

Running the DynamicFoam Application still isn't solved:

compilation terminated due to -Wfatal-errors.

Last edited by michelvandegaer; May 16th, 2021 at 12:23 PM.

Beans

As I said above, there's a pre-compiled binary in the git-repository. Have you tried that ?

I have tried compiling DynamicFoam and ended up with the same error. Seems that the author is not using the main branch of TinyEngine for this program but the newer version in the 'working' branch in the repository. So lets clean out the installed TinyEngine, download the newer branch, compile that and try again:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /usr/local/include/TinyEngine/
    sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libTinyEngine.a
    mkdir ~/src/
    cd ~/src
    git clone -b working https://github.com/weigert/TinyEngine.git
    cd TinyEngine
    sudo make all
    cd ..
    If the git command fails telling you that you don't have git installed, a quick 'sudo apt install git' should get that part running. Now try compiling DynamicFoam again. For me it complained about not finding 'noise/noise.h'. After 'sudo apt install libnoise-dev' it compiled but wouldn't run giving me 'SDL_Error: Couldn't find matching GLX visual'. Forcing SDL to use another way to look up GLX visuals with 'export SDL_VIDEO_X11_VISUALID=' ended with a window coming up for a fraction of a second and the program crashing. Probably wants something either my hardware or the installed OpenGL can't provide ...

Holger

Beans

Hi Holger,

Thanks for the new tips and progression.

Mh, for I a moment I felt like I was on board but I think that I started to mess things up.

So, I did the 'clean out' and 'new install via git', that went smooth:

But as a follow up, fetching the DynamicFoam didn't work:

I guess there I was still in the same 'area' as where you winded up, I did an install of the -lnoise stuff, like you did and i think also libboost again.

I also ran the 'Main' file in the DynamicFoam folder that you suggested again.

Note, I did't miss that comment the first time, but I misunderstood, and actually overlooked the actual 'main'.

I just did Run Software for the 'makefile' I though you were referring with "main" to that file.

Anyway, it didn't do much, I got the 'Run Software wheel' and that was that.

After the install of those libraries I tried to do again:

cd ~/Desktop/DynamicFoam-main
    sudo make all

But that didn't work ... or I made a mistake ... I closed the terminal and tried the process again with the code you gave, but as there was no longer anything old to clean (I think), I started to get into a kind of situation where it only compiled TinyEngine again.

--------

Note, I am in touch with Nick McDonald the developer of the programs, he is going to take a look later on.

BTW this is what the Dynamic Foam app does:

https://vimeo.com/546373165
    Last edited by michelvandegaer; May 16th, 2021 at 06:27 PM.

Beans

Actually I meant for you to run that 'main' executable in the shell. You get a lot more information that way. In this case, you'd probably get told that you're missing some libraries, specifically the libnoise and libboost_serialization. Install those two with 'sudo apt install libnoise-dev libboost-serialization-dev'. Missing those two libraries is why the compilation / linking failed in the next to last attempt you showed screenshots of. The last one failed because of that 'sudo -s' at the beginning. 'sudo -s' gives you a shell as root. '~/' at the beginning of a path is an abbreviation meaning 'the home directory of the current user'. There is no 'Desktop/DynamicFoam-main' in /root - the home directory of the root user.

And regarding all those screenshots: copy and paste from a terminal might be a bit more difficult (ctrl-c and ctrl-v for copy and paste don't work in a terminal because these keys have a special meaning to the shell, ^c is used to abort a running program, ^v is used to enter characters that normally would be interpreted by the command line editor; you can either use the terminal's menu to copy or use ctrl-shift-c to copy and ctrl-shift-v to paste) but it's worth it for two reasons: you can't quote from a screenshot and text takes up for less space/transmission capacity.

Holger

Beans

Hi Holgre,

Sorry for the screenshots, I'm actually working from two computers, responding here on the forum and doing all the other things on in Ubuntu. The reason is that I don't feel that at home yet, and the other one clickpad of the Thinkpad laptop isn't very precise ... it feels a bit like ice-skating for the first time : )

For the moment I'm sending these sreenshots via my gmail to my other computer, I've reduced the size so they shouldn't be too heavy.

I know how to do c/p in the Terminal using Ctrl + Shift but it's so automatic that I still do it sometimes in the terminal with just Ctrl.

Next time I'll respond straight from Ubuntu.

-----

So now I launched that main file from the Terminal and got the same issue regarding 'matching GLX' that you mentioned.

I looked it up and found this reference:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ing-glx-visual

Where they said to do:

Code:
    glxinfo
    And so I did:

They mentioned to look for this:

Not sure why, and suggested to do this before executing:

Code:
    export SDL_VIDEO_X11_VISUALID=
    Which I did ... and for a fraction of a second a black box showed up that disappeared again right away. I guess you had a similar result. Makes me wonder if I need for example a GPU card from Nvidia or so? Donno.

Beans

Mh, I promised not to send an other screenshot but ...

here's one of that black 'Example Window' that jumped open for fraction of a second. Wondering if you had something similar.

BTW previous to this I got this reply in the Terminal after doing the execution (no more screenshot):

Code:
    chimel@chimel-ThinkPad-X240:~$ ~/Desktop/DynamicFoam-main/main
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
      what():  not triangulation
    Aborted (core dumped)

Beans

Yes, that's about the same I got. So I'm guessing this either needs better hardware or a newer OpenGL.

Holger

Beans

I got this feedback from the author today, curious if the advice in the linked-to Ubuntu-post helps in your case:
    - Makefiles are used by running make with a target (all) from the same directory with privilege, as Holger told you
    - Dependencies were missing
    - The non merged TinyEngine branch is my fault, sorry about that.

The GLX problem can probably be fixed. What graphics card do you have? I use an Intel integrated GPU, and yours should support Opengl 4.3 as well. I don't think you need to switch out your laptop. Check this thread:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/8826...ts-mesa-12-0-6

and tell me what your version is and try to update it to support 4.3

Also the not a triangulation error results from a failed Poisson sampling and can happen randomly in rare exceptions - just ignore and run the program again.
    Note, to get some extra info on what the OpenGL my computer runs, I used these lines:
    (Ref.: https://askubuntu.com/questions/8509...dware-software)

Code:
    glxinfo|grep OpenGL
    Which gave the following information:

Code:
    chimel@chimel-ThinkPad-X240:~$ glxinfo|grep OpenGLOpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.2.6
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 20.2.6
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 20.2.6
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    chimel@chimel-ThinkPad-X240:~$
    This brings me to an other point/article about the the OpenGL Mesa 20.2.6, that it can be selective on what parts of its work depending on the driver:
    Mesa 20.2.6 implements the OpenGL 4.6 API, but the version reported by glGetString(GL_VERSION) or glGetIntegerv(GL_MAJOR_VERSION) / glGetIntegerv(GL_MINOR_VERSION) depends on the particular driver being used. Some drivers don’t support all the features required in OpenGL 4.6. OpenGL 4.6 is only available if requested at context creation. Compatibility contexts may report a lower version depending on each driver.”

Ref. https://docs.mesa3d.org/relnotes/20.2.6.html
    And going back to the readout above where different OpenGL profiles are mentioned:

• OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.2.6
    • OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 20.2.6
    • OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 20.2.6

Would this mean, as mentioned in the Mesa article, that 4.5 is running but that it only uses 3.0 and 3.1 ... which isn't good enough for the 4.3 version that the author advises?

------

BTW something weird I have noticed is that these lines, seem to remove the 'main' file that's in the extracted 'DynamicFoam-main' folder on the Desktop.

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/DynamicFoam-main
    sudo make all
    ... and the reason why I get "No such file or directory" when I run:

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/DynamicFoam-main/main
    Last edited by michelvandegaer; May 20th, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

Beans

Another strange thing I've noticed is that when I run:

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/DynamicFoam-main/main
    The main file gets locked.

Beans

Instead of screenshots of text. Just copy and paste the text in the forum instead. A forum is a text based system.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast