Thread: Help? 14.04 freezes/unfreezes every 5 secs after snapd install

Beans

Help? 14.04 freezes/unfreezes every 5 secs after snapd install

I have a Dell notebook PC that has run Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit desktop fine for years. I haven't upgraded because there's been no need. I depend on this for many of life's important and daily demands.

I recently decided to try Bitwarden password manager. I found information that stated it was installable on 14.04 via snap if snapd was first installed.

At a CLI I executed:

sudo aptitude install snapd

After that completed, I executed:

sudo snap install bitwarden

I rebooted, then tried to run bitwarden. It failed to start, giving a screen full of errors. This is when I noticed the PC freezing up every 5 seconds for 5 seconds at a time (then unfreezing, then repeating). I wanted to get out of this mess fast, so I executed:

sudo snap remove bitwarden

And then

sudo aptitude remove snapd

Then I rebooted, but the repetitive freezing up won't go away. It's not just the input of the keyboard or mouse, either. When I ssh into the PC from another device, activity freezes the same way... Frozen for 5 seconds, unfrozen for 5 seconds.

I realize this is an older version of Ubuntu and maybe nobody will be interested in this odd problem, but if anyone has any helpful suggestions of how I may undo this dysfunction that was triggered by installing snap (presumably), I would be very grateful.

--S
    I'd rather die fighting lions than being trampled by geese.

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Help? 14.04 freezes/unfreezes every 5 secs after snapd install

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Personlly I hate snaps and the first thing I do is to remove snapd.

But installing it on that old a version is... well, risky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need to run supported software for any real help here. 14.04 went EOL 2 years ago. That was when you "needed" to upgrade.

Beans

Well, you are running Linux. There is no need to wonder what is going on. You don't have to stumble around in the dark in a coal mine. You can see every process and exactly how much memory/CPU cycles it consumes. You can then kill any running process and see what happens after you killed it.

Run 'top' and kill any suspect process with 'kill -9 PID'. After a while you will kill something important and will have to reboot - don't worry about it. Eventually you will find the problem process and then you can look for a permanent solution.