Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make X11 requests from remote (ssh -X) apps only show remote windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to make remote Plank over SSH only show remote applications?

this is not as nice as using plank, it works for me
    It seems like you are the only one familiar with plank, so that makes you the subject matter expert. When you figure it out you can come back and fill us in
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    1) How can a remote application run over ssh -X even know about local windows?
    By asking the X-server for a list of windows.

Holger

Beans

“1) How can a remote application run over ssh -X even know about local windows?“ It doesn’t. SSH forwards the X requests from the remote to the local machine. The local X server handles the windows. The app doesn’t care which X server does it.
    Last edited by HermanAB; May 21st, 2021 at 03:45 PM.

Beans

you can see the commands in the .desktop files with:
    Code:
    grep Exec /usr/share/applications/filenamehere.desktop
    You can then see the command it runs. You can then copy that and run it in the terminal (I suggest backgrounding it with an ampersand. Eg gedit & )

But again, what do you do on the remote system once you connect? Why are you connecting at all? What activities do you do on the remote system once you are on there?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    “1) How can a remote application run over ssh -X even know about local windows?“ It doesn’t. SSH forwards the X requests from the remote to the local machine. The local X server handles the windows. The app doesn’t care which X server does it.
    Thanks HermanAB, this is very helpful. I was not aware that using ssh -X flipped the notion of client/server.

Is it possible to configure the local X server to restrict remote requests to windows from the host issuing the request?
    Xubuntu 20.04/System76 hardware ♦ Pop!_OS/live ♦ Debian 10/Xubuntu 20.04/VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans

Re: How to make X11 requests from remote (ssh -X) apps only show remote windows?

"ssh -X flipped the notion of client/server." No, X and SSH don't really flip anything. The X server serves up the machine screen, keyboard and mouse and makes them available to clients who want to use these devices. SSH contains a built in X client, which connects the distant machine X server to the local machine X server.

Everything is here:
    http://www.snailbook.com/
    Last edited by HermanAB; May 21st, 2021 at 07:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to make X11 requests from remote (ssh -X) apps only show remote windows?

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    I'm trying to set up a Xubuntu machine to also be accessible from another machine on the local network using ssh -X (in addition to being accessible physically).
    Why not X2go?
    https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:newtox2go

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    Why not X2go?
    Tried it and no. It aborts if the openssh-server is not installed on the client. That's a non-starter.
    Xubuntu 20.04/System76 hardware ♦ Pop!_OS/live ♦ Debian 10/Xubuntu 20.04/VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Running a WM over a remote X connection isn't really supported. I've never heard of plank before which is why I didn't respond. I know that snaps have trouble running remote, unless we manually link the .Xauthority into the correct place on the X/Client machine.

Apps that require direct access to a GPU will fail to work as well. Obviously, a remote X11 connection doesn't have access to any GPU.

If you want a full remote desktop, then I can only suggest x2go as well. Last month, I did a bunch of testing around how well/bad that worked and posted in another thread. Initially, my posts were incorrect for the core problem. At the end, I tried to got back through and correct the things that did and did not work with x2go and wayland, but did work with X11 or x2go+xorg.
    x2go does NOT require any ssh-server on the client machine. There are default settings which may seem to require that, but those can be turned off. Mainly is it local printing and local directory shares. These work in x2go using sshfs and an ssh-tunnel with the remote system as the client - that usually isn't possible over the internet.

Now, if you use KVM + Spice, then the clients can run QXL video drivers and remote access seems to work very well over virt-viewer using the spice protocol. Alas, this is only possible for VMs running under KVM or Xen. To my knowledge, no other hypervisors support SPICE. Just looked to see if virtualbox supports SPICE - nope. It is a feature request. Same for VMware hypervisors. None seem to support spice. When spice was first released, there were plans for it to be the remote desktop protocol for any Linux systems. That goal seems to have been retracted back to just KVM/QEMU and Xen.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Running a WM over a remote X connection isn't really supported.
    Are you saying that restricting remote X11 requests to windows from that remote host, requires running a full window manager from the remote machine?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast