Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IRC Discussion

Beans

IRC Discussion

Hello, all! Community Rep check-in time!

So there's a discussion on Discourse about IRC that spun off from Mark Johnson's membership proposal, and while I did want to link to the post, I also want to open a discussion here on the Forum for those who prefer to chat here. IRC isn't going anywhere, first of all! But we'd like to know your thoughts on how we can integrate it better with other chat platforms people use, and make a better experience for the entire community. So, if you have thoughts, concerns, ideas, etc., this is a place to discuss them, and we'll be thinking of ways to talk to the IRC Council and IS about what ideas to possibly take forward.

Monica

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: IRC Discussion

I prefer IRC over any of the new-fangled communications methods.
    All my #ubuntu-{whatever} channels seem to have disappeared.
    Discourse doesn't interest me at all, but it seems to be new trend. I've seen discourse-to-IRC bridges.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This might be ever so slightly off topic. Is it still possible to obtain Ubuntu Membership by means of Ubuntu Forums contributions? In other words, is this page still valid?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Forums/Membership

I am aware that the process is very much under discussion to find ways to make the process less complex and less nerve wracking. Therefore, at some point in the near future that page will have to be rewritten.

This page might help those who need to sign the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Forums/CoCSA_Tutorial

I seem to remember that there was a Ubuntu Forum Code of Conduct based upon the Ubuntu Code of Conduct. I know I signed at least one. I may have signed both. I know I obtained a GPG key and used it but do not ask me where I put it for safe keeping as I have never used it since. It is mislaid.

Regards

P.S. Found it! It was hiding under my launchpad name.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 12th, 2021 at 11:37 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I prefer IRC over any of the new-fangled communications methods.
    All my #ubuntu-{whatever} channels seem to have disappeared.
    Discourse doesn't interest me at all, but it seems to be new trend. I've seen discourse-to-IRC bridges.
    That pretty much confirms what I've been seeing even if I'm not on IRC a whole lot anymore.

Kinda depressing, but life moves on.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I have no issues with IRC, and I've really only been using it since maybe 2017 (I think I used email to communicate with other Ubuntu News team members before then)

As I believe was stated in the discourse link, I don't think IRC is difficult, as it can be accessed via a web browser almost everyone uses.

A couple of years back I added Web Links for support channels... those links could always be added beyond just support... ie. on page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/ChannelList (though it's in sections so there are sub-pages)

To make the page more readable, maybe the URL links should be hidden (I'm no fan of disguised URLs which is why the support links are long-form) as it makes the page more readable, along with shorter headings than I used "Web IRC (Click for..."

---

I do love the way IRC is linked with other mediums, in fact a lot of Lubuntu IRC traffic is coming from matrix or telegram .. the younger/newer users seem to prefer the newer methods, which allows easy reading replies later whilst offline (no IRC bouncers or irclogs required). Alas spam is more a problem on non-IRC media (on IRC on occasion too) in my experience.

To have reliable bridges between the various options would be great (they tend to go down a lot)... but personally I'm mostly in flavor rooms like Lubuntu which may not be covered by Canonical IS (and what you're asking about @Madhens), and for the Ubuntu rooms I'm in, everyone is on IRC anyway so it doesn't matter there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is it still possible to obtain Ubuntu Membership by means of Ubuntu Forums contributions? In other words, is this page still valid?
    Yes it is still possible, and as I am sure you are aware but for users that may not know is completely separate from obtaining Ubuntu Membership through the Ubuntu Approvals Membership Board.

Beans

Just as a heads up, the IRC issue is now slightly different and much more urgent, with the Freenode implosion. The CC and IRCC are currently discussing the matter and will be voting on how to move forward, and we'll be letting people know what happens, which may be as soon as after tonight's CC meeting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just hope we don't end up with Telegram and no alternative. I don't want to join Telegram or Signal because it involves giving away my phone number.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

it needs to be something with free and anonymous IRC access like irssi or similar.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by madhens View Post
    Just as a heads up, the IRC issue is now slightly different and much more urgent, with the Freenode implosion. The CC and IRCC are currently discussing the matter and will be voting on how to move forward, and we'll be letting people know what happens, which may be as soon as after tonight's CC meeting.
    I had to check the discourse thread to figure out what you were talking about and all I found was a link here: https://www.kline.sh/

So in case anyone is also out of the loop, there you go.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast