Thread: login screen just loops

Beans

login screen just loops

My login screen accepts my password and after a short while of blank screen returns to the login again.
    I can get to the shell with ctrl-alt-F3 and al seems well.
    From there I can do sudo startx and get a desktop of sorts but it is with a username of root which is not much use

I looked at the journal and see this little snippet
    Code:
    May 12 15:55:23 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-screensav[2243]: Couldn't get presence status: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    May 12 15:55:23 william-OptiPlex-7010 dbus-daemon[2119]: [session uid=1000 pid=2119] Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.ScreenSaver'
    May 12 15:55:23 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-session[2122]: Failed to write file “/home/william/.local/share/session_migration-ubuntu.K0ZT20”: write() failed: No space left on device
    May 12 15:55:24 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-keyring-daemon[2103]: error writing to `/home/william/.local/share/keyrings/.#lk0x5556767847a0.william-OptiPlex-7010.2103': No space left on device
    May 12 15:55:24 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-keyring-daemon[2103]: couldn't create lock for store file: /home/william/.local/share/keyrings/user.keystore: Bad file descriptor
    May 12 15:55:24 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-keyring-daemon[2103]: couldn't open store file: /home/william/.local/share/keyrings/user.keystore: Bad file descriptor
    May 12 15:55:24 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-keyring-daemon[2103]: file pkcs11/gnome2-store/gkm-gnome2-storage.c: line 1387 (gkm_gnome2_storage_token_flags): should not be reached
    May 12 15:55:24 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-keyring-daemon[2103]: error writing to `/home/william/.local/share/keyrings/.#lk0x555676777060.william-OptiPlex-7010.2103': No space left on device
    May 12 15:55:24 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-keyring-daemon[2103]: couldn't create lock for store file: /home/william/.local/share/keyrings/user.keystore: Bad file descriptor
    May 12 15:55:24 william-OptiPlex-7010 gnome-keyring-daemon[2103]: couldn't initialize slot with master password: The operation failed
    I don't understand why it says out of space - there are ca 40GB free on that drive. BUT I have suspicions about snap loop devices being counted against the drive allocation.

If it is of any significance I have three partitions: one for / and another, much larger, for /home and one for swap.

Help and suggestions gratefully accepted! I'm tearing my hair out over this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: login screen just loops

Snap applications will take up space on the hard disk just like all the other applications and utilities installed as part of the operating system. Set against that, I do not think that snap loop devices take up space on the hard disk. They will use some small amount of system memory (RAM) until the snap application is loaded, then it will take up even more memory. Just like as other applications do when loaded or opened.

The "no space left on device" message is in reference to the keyrings folder in /home. How large is the home partition? How much space is available in the home partition. There is a Disk Usage Analyser utility that might prove useful. You would have to use a Ubuntu live session. Or, run some command from a TTY.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Using the following command may provide some insight.

Code:
    df -h
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:34 PM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Also add the output of:
    Code:
    df -i

Beans

Thanks for suggestions. I solved it.

Du and Df were showing massive discrepancies. And most perplexingly df had a weird set of numbers: Similar to this (from a different machine)
    Code:
    Filesystem                  Size  Used    Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1                   458G  346G   89G  80%   /extras
    /dev/sda1                   472M 378M  70M  85%   /boot
    this may not look odd but do the maths - e.g. 346/458 is 77.5% and 378/472 80.1% - so there is a 5% discrepancy

On my failing /home drive of some 950Gb the available space reported by df was 40gb and %used reported as 100%. Thus despite there being 40gb unused the disk was counted as full.

The solutions described all over the web are many and various, hidden/locked files, spurious mount points etc - see here for a typical compilation https://serverfault.com/questions/27...er-investigate

But the answers that really were simple and worked were just like this https://odzangba.wordpress.com/2010/...t4-partitions/ or this https://ma.ttias.be/change-reserved-...esystem-linux/

Disk reservation is the culprit - hardly needed on a non root device at all and certainly not at 5% on a 1Tb drive only being used for /home.

There is a longer discussion of the issue here https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/disk-space showing this snippet which was very much like mine.

Code:
    [root@somehost ~]# df -h
    Filesystem             Size  Used  Avail  Use%  Mounted on 
    /dev/sda6              991M  924M     0  100%  /home
    So I did a
    tune2fs -m 1 /dev/sda6
    i.e reducing the reserved space to 1% as opposed to 5% and now bingo! the Gnome desktop has plenty of space to write all its needed files to complete the login properly.

Thanks again for your help.