Thread: Zim notebook questions

Beans

Zim notebook questions

Is it possible to add a pdf file directly to a Zim notebook page or is it only possible to link to a pdf on a website or stored in a local file?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Zim notebook questions

Not really. If you look at how Zim notebook pages are stored on your computer you'll see they are simple text (.txt) files, so it wouldn't be possible to store .pdf data in that format.

What you can do in Zim is insert an image in a notebook page. The page is still stored in .txt format and the image is referenced as a link to wherever it's stored on your computer, but when you open the page in Zim you see the image. And you can convert a .pdf file into an image quite easily: there are online services that do it, or you can do it in Ubuntu with an app or command line.

I hope this is some help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are all sorts of downsides to converting an efficient PDF to an image. I can think of 9 reasons NOT to do that for 1 good reason why you might want/need to do it. Of course, if the PDF is already a scanned PDF - not efficient and image based inside - then all the rules change.

Beans

Another question.
    I created a "linux index" page in the left panel. I created sub pages also. When I click on the "linux index" the entire list of pages and sub pages appear in the right hand panel. However, there are some sub pages that do not appear on the list in the right hand panel such as "desktop" and "kernels". Why do they not appear?

Screenshot from 2021-06-24 23-15-01.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To my understanding, the items in the right hand panel are only added manually.

• You can create a page in the right panel by typing e.g. +Printers, then turning that into a link. The "+" will cause the created page to be in a subfolder of the current page.
    • If you instead create a sub page in the left pane, it will *not* automatically be added to the right page. You can, however, drag the sub page from the left pane to the right pane to create a link to it in the right page.

So add the items that do not appear by dragging them in.

Beans

Good info. Thanks.
    I am really liking zim but still learning about organizing stuff. Sure is handy.