Thread: Ubuntu boot process

Beans

Ubuntu boot process

I recently had issues with an Ubuntu VM booting.

I'm not an expert in the Ubuntu boot process. The reason being that Linux usually just boots up, especially, as in this case, it's the only OS on a VM. I think the last time I had to debug the boot process was on something like Slackware, installed from floppy disks, on a triple-boot Windows NT 3.51 and Windows 95 system.

Am I the only one who thinks that Linux boot issues don't belong in the 21st century?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu boot process

Am I the only one who thinks that Linux boot issues don't belong in the 21st century?
    I have never thought about it. I have no views on the subject. Except to say that in the 21st century most people do not self-install a computer operating system. They never have boot issues because for most people upgrading means buying the latest smartphone or tablet PC even if the old smartphone or table was still working.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ottoeisen View Post
    I recently had issues with an Ubuntu VM booting.

I'm not an expert in the Ubuntu boot process. The reason being that Linux usually just boots up, especially, as in this case, it's the only OS on a VM. I think the last time I had to debug the boot process was on something like Slackware, installed from floppy disks, on a triple-boot Windows NT 3.51 and Windows 95 system.

I guess with logic like that, all boot issues should have ended in a different century. No more BSD boot issues. No more Mac OS boot issues. No more Linux boot issues. Wow!!!! What a concept.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Now, I think about it buying a computer without an OS pre-installed is so 20th century. Which makes me 20th century as my first computer did not have an OS pre-installed. It did not have a hard disk. The OS run from a floppy disc. My next computer was a self build. Again without an OS pre-installed. My present computer (the third) is also a self build and I had Linux/Ubuntu in mind as a purchased the parts. Although the hardware in this, my present computer, is 21st century I, myself, am from the last century.

Having said the above I recently read of a review of a laptop being offered by a company with a D.I.Y option. Buy it pre-built and you get Windows 10. Buy it D.I.Y. and you get it without an OS. Tempting.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/05/...-preorder-open

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:15 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Using a VM just adds to the many possibilities of having problems booting the system whether using KVM/QEMU, HyperV or VirtualBox.

If you are hoping for help with your linked problem shown at AskUbuntu this is not the way to get answers.

With regard to your comments, I have not had a machine with a pre-installed OS for about 18 years, and the only one of those that was Windows was the Windows XP bought in about 2003 which soon became a Ubuntu machine; it has been 100% Linux for me now since then with no regrets at all, and with so few difficulties or problems that even I sometimes find it hard to believe how easy it has been!