Thread: Ubuntu install onto Surface Studio

Beans

Ubuntu install onto Surface Studio

I say chaps,
    I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto my Microsoft Surface Studio because I'm tired of notifications to upgrade my Office account, which I no longer want or need.
    The MSS uses RAID disk management, which Ubuntu can't deal with. I need to change it to AHCI.
    The MSS uses UEFI instead of BIOS. This does not have a convenient way to change the SATA mode, that I can find.
    I've tried changing SATA mode in registry editor as advised by various people on my searches, but the changes get set back again when I re-boot.
    All suggestions gratefully received.
    TTFN
    Rickticktock

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu install onto Surface Studio

Hi Rick

Its hard to find Linux support for MS products, but there is a
    linux-surface/community here:
    https://gitter.im/linux-surface/comm...84ab3786b51d44

And I know of this:
    https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface

I run the Dell version of a surface pro with 20.04 and most everything worked out of the box, even the touch screen. I do not dual boot but instead run Ubuntu as a virtual machine. This allows me to run both (windows/ubuntu) concurrently, switching between the two with just a click. This is hard on system resources, I run a 4core i5 and 8 gig of ram and would consider that minim requirements, but others have did it on less. And since this is done with software there is no need to do any disk partitioning. Thats all I have, good luck and buy a Dell next time
    Last edited by dddman; May 11th, 2021 at 05:05 PM.

Beans

Hi dddman,
    Thank you. I shall follow up
    TTFN
    Rickticktock

Beans

No mention of RAID and AHCI, but much talk of a patched kernel. Will that deal with it?
    TTFN
    Rickticktock.