Thread: Looking for a Paint Program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Looking for a Paint Program

I have tried out two so far. Gimp is ok, I have ran paint.net in the past, but I really don’t need something that complex. Also ran a gnome extension

https://framagit.org/abakkk/DrawOnYourScreen

The extension works ok, comes with edit/paint options and is simple to use. This is more my style. Anyone have suggestions for something more the middle of the road?

Crop/scale; contrast/brightness; color scale/tone. I do picture touch up.

Thanks
    Last edited by dddman; May 9th, 2021 at 04:53 PM.

Beans

Re: Looking for a Paint Program

There's a whole website dedicated to this type of question: alternativeto.net
    That link will take you directly to their page of alternatives to paint.net on Linux.

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Kolourpaint is the closest you'll get to the the classic MS Paint.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have you searched the repos yet? There are several paint applications there with varying degrees of complexity; only you know how complex the application is that fits you so start there.

I suggest you install synaptic which makes searching for applications much easier and it includes everything available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can find Pinta in Ubuntu repository, both in snap and .deb format
    Pinta is a free, open source drawing/editing program modeled after Paint.NET
    Features include: - Adjustments (Auto level, Black and White, Sepia, …) - Effects (Motion blur, Glow, Warp, …) - Multiple layers - Unlimited undo/redo - Drawing tools (Paintbrush, Pencil, Shapes, …)
    Last edited by corradoventu; May 9th, 2021 at 06:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

<Holger>
    So many to choose from. I want to try Pixeluvo just because I like the clean line appearance of it.

<ml>
    A MS Paint knock off will have to be tried.

<aj>
    Synaptic gets several recommendations across the internet. I do use the Software Store, but I hope to get some product reviews here.

<c>
    Both snap and deb format. I believe the software store is the snap store so I guess that's what I use. That and anything I do find on the internet.

Edit
    I just found the deb package for Pixeluvo on line. The software store has offered to install it. So the software store is both snaps and deb I guest. Anyhow it was a 10 minute (slow site) download and is now installed.

Edit
    Spent 10 minutes with Pixeluvo and already like it. Kolourpaint is in the software store and also loading it up, but Pixeluve is going to be a hard act to follow.