Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older PC installation woes

Beans

Older PC installation woes

This a rather lengthy read... Just a warning. Sorry, I tend to be as detailed as possible. (I like to think that this eliminates worthless replies)

Yesterday (5-5-2021), while reading Email on my W10 PC, using Thunderbird, I received a free book offer titled "Learn Linux Quickly". I have Ubuntu 18.04 on my other Linux dedicated PC. It runs well, no problems except random lock-ups in the 0AD game app. These constant lock-ups prompted me to try the Win version of 0AD. To my amazement, 0AD didn't lock-up on the Win PC. So, I reluctantly left my Linux PC (still a noob status) & switched back to the Win PC.

Previously, I'd vowed, to myself, to not using Win anymore for various reasons. So I started using Linux Mint Cinnamon. But, it wouldn't install... So, on another forum, someone suggested I try Ubuntu instead of LM. So, I did & it installed W/O a hitch. I ran Ubuntu for a while & liked it fine. Did I miss Win? Maybe a little, but not enough to switch back to Win. That is until I ran into the constant 0AD Lock-ups which I never was able to fix (weeks & weeks went by, never new updates of 0AD) . For a while, (probably a few months) I would play 0AD daily on the Win PC. I was addicted to it. Now though, 0AD is but a distant memory of a game I loved, but couldn't beat in the more advanced stages & maps. Mostly because of my handicap. (poor vision, Lack of good motor skills). Sad to say, I'm just not fast enough anymore... Oh well, I'm learning to life with it...

Anyway, back to the W10 PC... I D/L'ed the free book & began reading it. It had 2 links. One for Virtual Box & 1 for Ubuntu 20.04. VB seems to have D/L'ed & installed correctly. Ubuntu 20.04 though is giving me problems. I started VB, followed all the steps in the book, to setup VB. I attempted to run the Ubuntu live DVD, but it seemed to hang.

This morning, I decided to try booting from the Ubuntu live DVD W/O VB. So I loaded the DVD into my optical drive of the W10 PC. I was elated, the Ubuntu DVD was booting! After what seemed to have taken forever, my PC hung. I was forced to remove the DVD & boot into Win.

I decided to try the DVD in my Linux PC hoping that it would work. Nope, I aborted the file system file check, & that's as far as it would go too. (same place as on the Win PC.

So, here I am... Not sure how to proceed or what to try next... I want to check the ISO's checksum, but how?
    Do I need to try another flavor of Ubuntu? I don't want to do that as it might would make a difference in the book's language/examples. ???

If you could, please help a noob.

My W10 PC's specs:

MB Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
    CPU AMD FX-3900 (~3.9Mhz)
    RAM Corsair 8Gb DDR3, 4x2
    Northbridge AMD 780G rev. 00
    Southbridge AMD SB700 rev. 00
    Graphics card Nvidea GE Force 730 - driver version 460.89
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express (not using MB video, disabled in CMOS)
    Graphic resolution 1600x900

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Older PC installation woes

I have a similar setup. Win10 and VB for Ubuntu. I originally loaded a usb stick with 20.04 using Rufus, a no fuss install that just worked the first time out.

https://rufus.ie/en_US/

Please give us a link to this install book.

Beans

I have some very similar machine running both Ubuntu and Wind 10. I no problems w/Ubuntu I have more problems with Win 10.

First thing I's suggest is running file system check on your Linux machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, what problem do you want us to help you with? 1) Installing Ubuntu in Virtual Box running on Windows 10? Or, 2) Loading a Ubuntu live session from DVD on a machine whose hardware specification we are not informed about?

This link will show you some boot options for Ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Please look at section Ubuntu CD Advanced Welcome Page Options and section Changing the CD's Default Boot options. Examine section F6 Other Options. You may need to select nomodeset. If that gets the live session/installer running and the install is successful you can activate a proprietary video driver from Software & Updates>Additional Drivers tab. You need to be connected to the internet at the time.

Which of the two problems is it the answer to? Do not know. It is a worthless reply I know. but those are the only kind of replies I have.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    I have a similar setup. Win10 and VB for Ubuntu. I originally loaded a usb stick with 20.04 using Rufus, a no fuss install that just worked the first time out.
    I tried booting from a flash drive a while back... Don't remember all the details... I don't think I was successful, though.

Sure, but it's not an "install" book, rather a Linux beginner's (like me) guide...

I'd be glad to share the PDF, just tell me where, but I'm afraid I can't find the exact Email. It was an Email from either howtogeek.com or reviewgeek.com. I can't remember which. I went to their site, but 2 searches proved totally useless, sorry.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    So, what problem do you want us to help you with? 1) Installing Ubuntu in Virtual Box running on Windows 10? Or, 2) Loading a Ubuntu live session from DVD on a machine whose hardware specification we are not informed about?
    #1... I haven't used my dedicated Linux PC in a long time... At first because of my 0AD issues then later because of other reasons. I'm still wanting to use Ubuntu again, but I remain confused at this point.
    It's just easier for me to use what I know about (unfortunately, that's Win) for now.

This link will show you some boot options for Ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Thanks!

It is a worthless reply I know. but those are the only kind of replies I have.

Regards
    Not at all! The info in the link will take me a couple of reads to digest, but I'm sure the info will help. (fingers crossed)

Beans

Exclamation Re: Older PC installation woes

Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post

Better late than never. They resent the link (Email). Hope this works...:

Limited Time

book.jpg

This book is a practical guide that lets you develop the skills you need to become a professional Linux system administrator. Linux is one of the most sought-after skills in the IT industry, and the most popular operating system deployed in both public/private clouds. Learn the necessary skills today to become an efficient Linux system administrator. Free Download!
    Last edited by QIII; May 11th, 2021 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Text formatting, thumbnailed image

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@pielam

Please do not embed large images. Some of our users have slow connections or data limits. Transferring such large files may actually cost them extra money.

Please use the paper clip icon above the text input box to attach images, which will leave an expandable thumbnail.

Also, don't cut and paste formatting like tables from other websites. That can cause conflicts with the UF formatting.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want to check the ISO's checksum, but how?
    The location where you got the ISO file should also have a number of different checksum text files - md5sum, sha1sum, sha256sum. Get those at the same time.

Inside the checksum file(s) will be a checksum using the specific tool and the filename xxxxx-xxxx---xxxxxx.iso
    Run the checksum program against the .ISO file you successfully downloaded.

Say I have these files:
    Code:
    ubuntu-mate-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso
    ubuntu-mate-20.04-desktop-amd64.SHA256
    Code:
    $ sha256sum ubuntu-mate-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso
    a298764d9d2615c6fc5e99c7dddd9d7687f885821e6915c57daf9747b9c33445  ubuntu-mate-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso
    manually compare the output you get with the output from the checksum file. Using grep might make that easier.

Code:
    $ grep a298764d9d2615c6fc5e99c7dddd9d7687f885821e6915c57daf9747b9c33445 *56
    ubuntu-mate-20.04-desktop-amd64.SHA256:a298764d9d2615c6fc5e99c7dddd9d7687f885821e6915c57daf9747b9c33445
    "*56" is just a file pattern thing. I'm lazy, that's all.

Sometimes there's just 1 checksum file for all the ISOs, so the grep will show just the lines that match.

sha1sum, md5sum, sha256sum are examples of the checksum programs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    @pielam

Please do not embed large images.
    Sorry, that was completely unintentional. I also didn't realize that the image would turn out to be so large. It wasn't THAT large in its original form. (In my Email message). It inexplicably became large in the UF post after I pasted it.

Please use the paper clip icon above the text input box to attach images, which will leave an expandable thumbnail.
    Thanx for the explanation. I will attempt to do so in the future.

Also, don't cut and paste formatting like tables from other websites. That can cause conflicts with the UF formatting.
    OK. As stated above, that was not my intent. I simply highlighted the portion of the message. that I wanted, copied it, then pasted it in my reply. I had no idea that would cause all this disruption or possibly break something. I am completely unaware of Thunderbird's tables & formatting techniques.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast