Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Ubuntu Installation rebooting to Install menu

Beans

Fresh Ubuntu Installation rebooting to Install menu

I am having a heck of a time trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 on my computer. The computer I am using is a dell latitude 14 rugged 5414. I purchased a new 1TB SSD and inserted it into the slot in the side of the computer. I downloaded the most recent ISO of Ubuntu and used Rufus to load it on a removable USB Flash Drive. I put in the flash drive, entered the BIOS, and set the boot order to boot from the USB. I followed all the on-screen instructions and 12hrs later I'm greeted with a dialog that tells me to restart, so I do.

When it boots up I get a black screen that says "Invalid partition table!" if I hit enter it boots back up to the installation menu. It does this even without the installation medium plugged in. I have tried doing this like 3 times. Is there something that I'm missing? Has anyone else encountered this problem beore?

Beans

Re: Fresh Ubuntu Installation rebooting to Install menu

Installing Ubuntu should not take more than 30 minutes on a recent computer. Did you do an md5checksum on the Ubuntu iso you downloaded before trying to install? Expllained at the Ubuntu site below.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/...itecture=amd64

To post more information on the system, go to the site below and use the 2nd option explained on that page to download and run boot repair. Do not try to make repairs but select the option to Create BootInfo Summary and post the link you get when it finishes here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please tell us the options you chose during the installation process. Was it erase disk and install Ubuntu? Was it Something Else? Did you have a Windows operating system on that machine? Do you still have it?

You say it boots back to the installation menu even with the USB memory stick removed. That sounds like an impossibility. Unless you burned the install ISO image to a drive other than the USB memory stick. Please confirm that it is not going back to some menu from the motherboard's UEFI settings utility offering a drive option to boot from.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Yes, I selected "Install Ubuntu" so it should erase the disk and install. This is a new hard drive straight out the box, no OS installed, and it is the only drive on the computer. One of the things I have tried in this process is burn the boot iso directly to the hard disk but since then I have formatted it using the windows disk management utility I figure that shouldn't be the issue.

Other options I selected include "Normal installation", "Download updates while installing Ubuntu", and "install third party software..."
    When it reboots it boots right back into the same installation menu, regardless of boot medium.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Installing Ubuntu should not take more than 30 minutes on a recent computer. Did you do an md5checksum on the Ubuntu iso you downloaded before trying to install? Expllained at the Ubuntu site below.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/...itecture=amd64

To post more information on the system, go to the site below and use the 2nd option explained on that page to download and run boot repair. Do not try to make repairs but select the option to Create BootInfo Summary and post the link you get when it finishes here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Thanks, I will try these when I get home later today. I might also try completely formatting the drive and deleting partitions to start fresh

Beans

Ok, I formatted the drive using windows disk manager, reburned the iso on the usb drive, and now I am waiting for ubuntu to install. It has been sitting for about 2.5 hours now I'll let you know when it is complete.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you select 'erase disk and install ubuntu' you don't need another format, but ubuntu install should not take more than 15-30 minutes.
    If you select 'download updates during install' and you have a very slow internet access the time for downloading the updates may count.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by loganydid View Post
    I formatted the drive using windows disk manager
    Which file system did you choose?
    Windows tools cannot create suitable partitions for Linux installations unless you have used another utility.

Have you seen this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by corradoventu View Post
    If you select 'erase disk and install ubuntu' you don't need another format, but ubuntu install should not take more than 15-30 minutes.
    If you select 'download updates during install' and you have a very slow internet access the time for downloading the updates may count.
    When I woke up this morning it was still going around 13 hours later. I did select 'download updates during install' which definitely makes it take longer but regardless I have to let it go overnight because it takes so long.

Beans

I just used the disk manager tool to delete all the partitions and format the disk. I was doing this as a precautionary measure but like corradoventu said, it shouldn't matter. If I select select "Erase Disk and Install" it should format and repartition the disk as necessary, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast