Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresh Ubuntu Installation rebooting to Install menu

Beans

Re: Fresh Ubuntu Installation rebooting to Install menu

BTW I checked the checksum and the iso looks good.

Beans

Holy cow it's still going!!!
    When I checked on it it appeared to have gone to sleep. It says "configuring hardware" now and there is still text scrolling on the terminal so I guess it's ok?

Beans

Ok, this morning it was finished so I rebooted the computer leaving the boot medium in and now I'm at a screen with a bunch of errors:
    https://ibb.co/DzzRcP9

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am going to ask a stupid question. Some among us say, there are no stupid questions but I am going to ask one anyway.

The Ubuntu installation process requires user interaction. Information such as User name; User password; Location; setting up an internet connection (maybe). Sometimes, during the later part of the process we may be asked to make certain choices. If we do not respond the stupid computer program just waits and waits. For most of the process all the work is done in computer memory. It is not written to disc until late in the process. Trying to re-start the installation process could possibly cause a reboot of the machine which would bring us back to the installation menu.

Did you start the installation and then leave? Did you set a User name and password? May I make a suggestion? When you try installing again run the live session - Try Ubuntu. Then open System Settings and turn off Blank screen. It is under the Power tab. It has been my experience that during the installation process the screen will blank and when the installer asks for input I miss seeing the dialog box. And then I wonder why the installation is taking so long. An alternative is to move the mouse around a bit every so often. In this way I do not miss any requests for user input.

We can select Install Ubuntu from an icon on the live session desktop.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

After formatting the disk, reburning the image to the usb drive, and reinstalling ubuntu it still boots to the installation menu.
    I ran the boot repair and the result is below

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/JhvZKyhV4v/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It looks like you haven't installed Ubuntu.

Line 15 - 0 (zero) OS detected
    Line 60 - sda1 ntfs is a Windows file system

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, the only operating system detected by that script was the live one on the USB and that is not running in UEFI mode; so far you have installed nothing.

So try again booting to the USB but this time make sure it starts in UEFI mode; usually there are two instances of the USB to choose from in the device list, one with UEFI at the start the other without UEFI; make sure you choose the UEFI one, that is very important.

Now choose to run the live OS, listed as "Try Ubuntu without installing" or similar description and when that starts use gparted to delete the ntfs partition on the hard disk and leave it as unallocated space.

Now when you choose to install the OS you can again try the "Use whole disk" option and let the installer create the partitions needed, an EFI partition for the UEFI and grub bootloader files which will be about 500M fat32, and the rest as ext4 for the OS itself.
    Apart from the computer name (hostname), your username (must all be in lowercase), and password for the user, there is not much else to choose between.

As I have never had an nvidia graphics system which needs a driver installed as soon as possible, I never install updates, extra drivers or other packages during installation but wait until the OS is installed and rebooted then add what is needed/wanted for my own use of the system.

Beans

Sorry for the late reply,

Thanks for the advice, the issue I'm running into is that with the USB in, the computer boots like it should (all the way to the login screen).
    Without the USB in it boots to the "Install Ubuntu" dialog which is really blowing my mind.

I think I'm going to start from ground zero and reburn ubuntu to the USB and follow the steps you outlined.

Beans

ok, I reburned ubuntu to the USB and I booted into the "try ubuntu" environment ensuring it started in UEFI mode
    I started GParted to delete the ntfs partition but I dont see a ntfs partition. See below for screenshots of what I'm seeing in both the 32gb flashdrive and the 1tb SSD.

https://ibb.co/d070T5M
    https://ibb.co/FB63S8S

Should I just continue to installation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12