Thread: Linux unistalled needed packages

Beans

Linux unistalled needed packages

Hi,

I uninstalled pcmanfm as it froze while looking through files. During uninstalling it told me:

Code:
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      fonts-crosextra-caladea fonts-crosextra-carlito fonts-linuxlibertine fonts-sil-gentium fonts-sil-gentium-basic gstreamer1.0-gtk3 libabw-0.1-1 libapache-pom-java libbsh-java libcommons-logging-java
      libcommons-parent-java libe-book-0.1-1 libel-api-java libepubgen-0.1-1 libetonyek-0.1-1 libhsqldb1.8.0-java libjsp-api-java libllvm6.0 libllvm7 libllvm8 libllvm8:i386 libllvm9 libllvm9:i386
      libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core
    I used apt autoremove command and it uninstalled my libreoffce suite. So looks like autoremove command is inconsistent and also removes important needed parts of the system and your applications? Isn't autoremove command dangerous for your applicaions? I needed libreoffice and it actually has nothing to do to pcmanfm.

I use Lubuntu.
    Last edited by merken667; May 5th, 2021 at 11:12 AM.

Beans

Re: Linux unistalled needed packages

You are not alone. You have to be careful with that. The man page for apt (which documents the command) contains a warning:

You should check that the list does not include applications you have grown to like even though they were once installed just as a dependency of another package. You can mark such a package as manually installed by using apt-mark(8). Packages which you have installed explicitly via install are also never proposed for automatic removal.
    So, if you see something that you want to keep show up in the autoremove list, use apt-mark manual <package> to prevent removal with autoremove:
    Code:
    sudo apt-mark manual libreoffice*
    should protect all package names beginning with libreoffice from autoremoval.

You can check what a package depends on with apt depends <package>
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 5th, 2021 at 01:16 PM.

Beans

What is the output of
    Code:
    apt-cache policy libreoffice
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You had a package (I think it was lubuntu-desktop) that's there to automatically install a full Lubuntu desktop environment. It triggers automatic installation of both pcmanfm and libreoffice. Then you removed pcmanfc (BTW, a bit drastic to remove it because it freezes. Why not investigate first? Chances are there's something wrong with your system that will disrupt file management no matter what file manager or command line tools you use). This tells the package manager that you don't want the full Lubuntu desktop environment and lubuntu-desktop is removed too. And all packages automatically installed to satisfy dependencies of lubuntu-desktop become autoremovable. The package manager isn't very good at guessing what software you need.

You can simply reinstall libreoffice. All settings and documents should still be there.