Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Screen, Ubuntu Guest VM on Ubuntu Host

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Full Screen, Ubuntu Guest VM on Ubuntu Host

Quote Originally Posted by webmanoffesto View Post
    Okay, I did that. It doesn't give me the true full screen that I was hoping to get. How do I know if this worked?
    How do the VM to display in real full screen.
    There's the VM aspect, controlled by the VM settings - this is the full-screen vs "windowed" choice.
    and
    there's the screen resolution controlled inside the guest by normal display controls. I use lxrandr to set the resolution inside the client VM, but any display resolution setting tool should work on all the modern hypervisors with a graphical interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Works in virtualbox and its a keeper, off to the toy box with it.

Beans

Host-C, Scaled Mode is close. That makes my Virtual Ubuntu window fill the whole screen. But then it's kind of stretched out in the left-right aspect. I wonder how I fix that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by webmanoffesto View Post
    Host-C, Scaled Mode is close. That makes my Virtual Ubuntu window fill the whole screen. But then it's kind of stretched out in the left-right aspect. I wonder how I fix that.
    Inside the VM, use any display resolution control tool that you like. I use lxrandr because it is bonehead simple.
    It is always best to run at the monitor's native resolution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Inside the VM, use any display resolution control tool that you like. I use lxrandr because it is bonehead simple.
    It is always best to run at the monitor's native resolution.
    I agree with TheFu except that I simply use xrandr in terminal.

That lists all resolutions available to your system, marks what is in use with an asterisk but allows you to choose the resolution you want with a simple command, eg
    Code:
    xrandr -s 1920x1080
    I no longer use VirtualBox having moved to QEMU/KVM many months ago so I'm not sure how well xrandr or lxrandr work in VBox but they certainly do the job very easily in QEMU/KVM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes, scaled mode will stretch things out if taken too far. Stay off of scaled mode, you want full screen. Do what others have said. Find the native resolution and set it. If not with xrandr, then system settings>display will also change resolutions.

You want to know if guest additions took or not? If "seamless" is grayed out in the virtualbox menu>view>seamless; then guest additions is not yet working or not properly installed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12