Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC shuts down randomly and then restarts

Beans

Exclamation PC shuts down randomly and then restarts

Hello Ubuntu Community,
    I am a completely new Ubuntu user and although I already loved the OS I am experiencing a really disturbing problem to the point I cannot work on the computer at all.

The problem: Computer shuts down (crushes?) unexpectedly (no matter what I am doing at the time ex: browsing the internet, coding, watching videos etc) and then turns on again (like restarting but with a pause). Some time it works normally for 1 or 2 days and other times it may happen 2-5 times in a single day.

I have built a brand new desktop computer (every part is new). I have been struggling to find the cause however I've reached to a point where my knowledge can only get me so far when it comes to troubleshooting.
    All drivers and any other software are up to date.

PC:
    Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech MX Keys / MX Master 3
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
    MB: ASUS Rog Strix X570-F Gaming
    SSD: Kingston A200 1TB NVMe
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
    PSU: Corsair TX750

Is there any advanced user who can detect the problem and suggest a fix?
    My syslog https://we.tl/t-MPhhZX7xxR.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by arggeo; May 3rd, 2021 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PC shuts down randomly and then restarts

Is it the operating system that shuts down and the reboots? Or, is it the hardware that switches off and then re-powers back on?

If it is the hardware, then double check the power connections from the mains outlet into the power supply. My motherboard is not as new as your motherboard but if I use the On/Off switch to power off the computer power will continue to be supplied from the Power Supply Unit as long as the mains lead is switched on. The motherboard shows this to be the case by keeping an LED on the motherboard illuminated. I also have an On/Off switch on the back of the PSU that completely shuts off the power to the motherboard.

Is the PSU fan working? If not then an automatic shutdown function may be triggered. I am just throwing in some guesses. Please determine if it is a hardware power supply issue. If it is the OS that is shutting down then check if the Memory modules are fully seated. Likewise check if the CPU is over heating. Is the CPU fan working? The Motherboard fans working?

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks for replying mate.

Hardware is fine, all fans are working properly (PSU, CPU etc) and temperatures are fine too. I have installed Vitals and it shows 40 degrees celcius on average on all components. I have concluded that the problem has to do with the software as I installed Windows 10 for a few days (to eliminate the possibility of having to deal with hardware issues) and everything worked normally. Not a single shut down, no freezes, no problems at all. I have also cut the power and kept the power button pushed for a minute to discharge the hardware in case there was any electricity left "running".

tea for one is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by arggeo View Post
    SSD: Kingston A200 1TB NVMe
    Some Kingston SSD NVME drives need a little tweak in grub - added in blue below:-

Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    #GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Ubuntu 20.04"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    Don't forget to update grub after editing:-
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    https://tekbyte.net/2020/fixing-nvme...lems-on-linux/

Fingers crossed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Some Kingston SSD NVME drives need a little tweak in grub - added in blue below:-

Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    #GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Ubuntu 20.04"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    Don't forget to update grub after editing:-
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    https://tekbyte.net/2020/fixing-nvme...lems-on-linux/

Fingers crossed
    Thank you very much for your answer mate. It seems I am facing the very same issue. I followed the instructions given in the article, verified that changes are applied and I hope it is fixed. Will be sure in 2-3 days time. While you inserted the code in "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT", the article suggests that it should be included in "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX". Am I getting something wrong?

Regards

tea for one is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0" normal boot
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" recovery boot
    You do not want grub parameters in recovery boot because it may be the parameters themselves which cause difficulties.
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
    Entries on this line are added to the end of the 'linux' command line (GRUB legacy's "kernel" line) for both normal and recovery modes. It is used to pass options to the kernel.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

This line imports any entries to the end of the 'linux' line (GRUB legacy's "kernel" line). The entries are appended to the end of the normal mode only.
    To view a black screen with boot processes displayed in text, remove "quiet splash". To see the grub splash image plus a condensed text output, use "splash".
    The above quote is from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup

Beans

Check for blown capacitors on the motherboard. Also test RAM health as a good first step

Beans

Random restarts are almost always due to bad power quality. One major advantage of a laptop computer is that it has a built-in uninterruptable power supply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you have built this system from new parts (as you write - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 3600MHz) then one possible (but unlikely) cause is that RAM is not seated firmly.
    Try cleaning the edges with a rubber then reseating.
    Have you run Memtest?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0" normal boot
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" recovery boot
    You do not want grub parameters in recovery boot because it may be the parameters themselves which cause difficulties.

The above quote is from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup
    Thank you very much for explaining. I will have a look in the grub setup article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast