Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 20.04.2 - Suddenly can't suspend, Ryzen desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Ubuntu 20.04.2 - Suddenly can't suspend, Ryzen desktop

I've been suspending my desktop when not in use since I got it, in early 2020. In the last couple days it doesn't suspend. It just locks the screen, but the computer never goes to sleep.

I can't find anything that seems relevant in dmesg or the various logs in /var/log. What's the procedure to debug this stuff?

Xubuntu 20.04.2, Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950X CPU. No hardware changes or new devices plugged in recently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Re: Ubuntu 20.04.2 - Suddenly can't suspend, Ryzen desktop

One minor note - I just realized one other possibly-relevant change in behavior. When I plug in a USB flash drive, all of a sudden it's asking for my password to mount it. Never used to do that before.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    sudo pm-suspend
    Does that work? if so, it is only a GUI thing, not deeper.

If you create a new userid, does suspend work from that account? If so, it is a personal settings problem that needs to be cleaned up. This is harder than it sounds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Unfortunately,
    Code:
    sudo pm-suspend
    gets:
    Code:
    sudo: pm-suspend: command not found
    Did a bit of googling, and tried:
    Code:
    systemctl suspend
    I'm afraid I got the same behavior as when using the system menu: the screen locked, but the computer did not sleep/suspend.

I created a test user, and... same behavior. Suspend only locks screen, doesn't put the computer to sleep. In fact, for a bit there the 'suspend' button disappeared from the Xubuntu 'power' menu. It's back now, but still doesn't work.

(While creating the test user, I saw that the permission "Access external storage devices automatically" is checked for me. That hasn't change, but the good news is I can stick in flash media and have it automatically mount.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I also get the same "command not found" when running sudo pm-suspend on my Xubuntu 20.04 but I think that is because I do not have the pm-utils package installed.

Using Xubuntu I have a keyboard shortcut linked to the Pause/Break key which uses command
    Code:
    xfce4-session-logout --suspend
    which works fine and as user, with no need for sudo, so that is what I use most for an instant suspend.

However, having just now installed the pm-utils package on my system, the sudo pm-suspend command that did not work before, now works as expected.

Having just noticed that you are also running Xubuntu, why not try adding the command I show to your keyboard shortcuts as I have; it's something I ise on both my laptop and desktop but more on the latter as that, of course, has no lid switch which suspends the laptop as well as the Pause/Break key.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; 3 Days Ago at 02:31 PM. Reason: Extra information/suggestion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

OK, weirdness I don't like. I discovered today that Steam couldn't see my XBox 360 controller all of a sudden, though that's been working well before now. Oddly, jstest could see it.

I added myself to the 'input' group, logged out and back in, and now Steam can see the controller.

I'm worried that permissions got messed up on this machine. I did try:

Code:
    xfce4-session-logout --suspend
    ...but same behavior. Screen locks, computer doesn't sleep. I wonder if I'm suddenly missing a relevant permission? And if so... is there a log somewhere that'll tell me what it is?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Hmm. Installed pm-utils, and sudo pm-suspend does in fact put the computer to sleep. I can't figure out why permissions have changed, but it's gotta be something along those lines...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sorceror171 View Post
    Hmm. Installed pm-utils, and sudo pm-suspend does in fact put the computer to sleep. I can't figure out why permissions have changed, but it's gotta be something along those lines...
    Now that you have the sudo pm-suspend command working, see if my suggestion of the keyboard shortcut for xfce4-session-logout --suspend also works.

It is so incredibly useful on my desktop machine as it means a single key press at any moment with no password needed suspends the system immediately.

Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this is now solved to your satisfaction. It is a great help to other users searching the forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Unfortunately, while sudo pm-suspend does suspend things, it's not quite a satisfactory solution, since it doesn't lock the screen. And while xfce4-session-logout --suspend and the XFCE "Suspend" GUI button do lock the screen... they don't suspend the power. So for now, I've got two half-solutions that don't add up to a whole one.

I suppose the next step is to try to debug using dbus logs or something? Maybe I should ask on the Desktop Environments forum at this point?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

if it suspends then it's not a hardware issue. did you do any installs or mess with permission files? maybe running any GUI app with sudo command?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast