Thread: Problem when using USB-sticks. They kill KDE-Partmgr. and File mngr. (20.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Problem when using USB-sticks. They kill KDE-Partmgr. and File mngr. (20.04)

On one of my laptops I've run into the following problem:

When inserting a USB-stick (FAT32 formatted), it is recognized perfectly.
    With KDE Partition Manager, I then wish to set it up as an .ext4 stick (by assigning a "sdb1" partition).
    Opening KDE Partition Manager, I see my main HD correctly displayed, and also the USB-stick as "sdb".
    Clicking on the "sdb" drive, the Partition Manager closes. Huh?
    In the File Manager (PCmanFM-Qt), clicking on the stick, the file manager closes as well. Huh?

I'm completely lost here, I've never seen this kind of behaviour before in Lubuntu.

Any ideas?

Thank You.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problem when using USB-sticks. They kill KDE-Partmgr. and File mngr. (20.04)

I think I just solved it myself.
    Apparently, the USB-stick was marked as "encrypted" somehow (dunno why?).
    Installed Gparted, which indicated this, and I was able to resolve the issue.

KDE Partition Manager is now deinstalled on all my laptops. I don't need useless SW.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Problem when using USB-sticks. They kill KDE-Partmgr. and File mngr. (20.04)

I don't think I've found anything that KDE Partition Manager cannot do.

I do often find `gparted` easier as I've been using it for years, and thus know it better (I spend more time looking for how to do things in KDE Partition Manager is all; that'll change I suspect with time).

It's a bit late now, but if you'd filed a detailed bug report, enough that we could re-create the issue, we could explore it & if it's a bug, file upstream so it gets fixed.

I suspect it's only that that you hadn't found how KDE Partition Manager expects you to work, how it was designed... (there are somethings it actually does better than `gparted too). KDE Partition Manager is used as it's far more efficient (lighter on resources) as it uses libraries/toolkits already in memory as used by the LXQt desktop.

Beans
    Distro

You may right that the problem is my failure to work with the KDE Manager.
    But that doesn't explain why the File Manager (PCManFM-Qt) gets killed as well.