Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: login and password vmdk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: login and password vmdk

There is a checkbox during install to include an ssh-server. Check that. That's the end of the "configuration" effort to get it working. That doesn't mean you shouldn't harden ssh a little more and prevent 99% of the world from connecting, but that can come later.

The Server or Desktop install takes 10 minutes.

Sorry that nobody who knows something about the way you want to use a vmdk version it has responded. This is the first thread I've ever seen about this type of release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    There is a checkbox during install to include an ssh-server. Check that. That's the end of the "configuration" effort to get it working. That doesn't mean you shouldn't harden ssh a little more and prevent 99% of the world from connecting, but that can come later.

The Server or Desktop install takes 10 minutes.

Sorry that nobody who knows something about the way you want to use a vmdk version it has responded. This is the first thread I've ever seen about this type of release.
    I think another difference between the cloud vmdk and the version installed via iso is that the vmdk includes the cloud-init package on the assumption the hosting provider would hook into it to set up the SSH keys and other configuration.

But in real life, that isn't a big difference unless you need to deploy a few instances with the same config. If it's a one-off, you can just do it manually.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been purging the cloud-init packages from my server installs a few years.
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l 'cloud*'
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    ii  cloud-guest-ut 0.30-0ubuntu all          cloud guest utilities
    ii  cloud-init     21.1-19-gbad all          Init scripts for cloud instances
    ii  cloud-initramf 0.40ubuntu1. all          copy initramfs modules into root 
    ii  cloud-initramf 0.40ubuntu1. all          write a network interface file in
    un  cloud-utils    <none>       <none>       (no description available)
    These were purged previously, but Canonical started forcing them through dependencies. My 2 other servers don't have them, so I don't know which dependencies force them. Regardless, they ARE in the normal Ubuntu Server ISO.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I've been purging the cloud-init packages from my server installs a few years.
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l 'cloud*'
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    ii  cloud-guest-ut 0.30-0ubuntu all          cloud guest utilities
    ii  cloud-init     21.1-19-gbad all          Init scripts for cloud instances
    ii  cloud-initramf 0.40ubuntu1. all          copy initramfs modules into root 
    ii  cloud-initramf 0.40ubuntu1. all          write a network interface file in
    un  cloud-utils    <none>       <none>       (no description available)
    These were purged previously, but Canonical started forcing them through dependencies. My 2 other servers don't have them, so I don't know which dependencies force them. Regardless, they ARE in the normal Ubuntu Server ISO.
    Good catch! I checked my 18.04 box that's hosting some production stuff and I didn't see any cloud-init stuff. I haven't used any of the newer versions though.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12