Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I stop Ubuntu asking me to sign in keyring every boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question How do I stop Ubuntu asking me to sign in keyring every boot

As per title. A few months ago, after an update, my pc started asking me to sign in to keyring.
    This machine was Ubuntu from new build. A local business built it for me last year and I asked for it to be set to boot without needing password input. No one else uses it.

So is there anything I can do apart from re-installing the system? I'm gonna buy a Groovy Gorilla USB stick right now anyway, as I always like to pay for the system upgrades that way.

Thanx for any help you guys. 😁
    Permanent noob with coffee mug.

Just give me the donuts!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I stop Ubuntu asking me to sign in keyring every boot

It's either typing your password at the login or later whenever any process needs access to the keyring. So, it's much better - and is what the "bast practices" say - to not have autologin and always type a paasword at the beginning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't really see why it's much better, it would be ok by me if it was automatic from startup.
    I'm not interested in best practices, they are irrelevant to my situation. No one else is here, I just want my pc to work after I come home from work. I'm 67, and this is my leisure time, ☕ �� ☕ �� ☕ �� ☕ �� ☕ ☕
    Ubuntu has apparently altered my system settings without asking me if it's ok. It's not ok, so I want to change it back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cheapodonuts View Post
    I don't really see why it's much better, it would be ok by me if it was automatic from startup.
    I'm not interested in best practices, they are irrelevant to my situation. No one else is here, I just want my pc to work after I come home from work. I'm 67, and this is my leisure time, ☕ �� ☕ �� ☕ �� ☕ �� ☕ ☕
    Ubuntu has apparently altered my system settings without asking me if it's ok. It's not ok, so I want to change it back.
    CelticWarrior is correct, autologin should be discouraged. The keyring will be more of an irritation than typing a password at log-in.

Why not set up a short password? Your leisure time will not be compromised by spending a few seconds typing a password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But why did it alter my settings?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Difficult to answer - probably one of the security updates?

Anyway, you will find that users who log in with a password (even if it is short) rarely complain about keyring problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well I suppose I'll accept it for now, but I'll be grumpy about t!
    😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello cheapodonuts, in the future please use the report button in the lower left had corner of the post to politely ask for your post to be removed instead of deleting the content of your post.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No. That is not the case. Your system settings are still the same. When you automatically login you should then open Passwords and Keys. Enter your user password in that utility and the system will stop nagging you for a password until the next time you automatically login.

This link explains what is happening and why. What you are seeing is a security feature.

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-keyring/

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok boss,
    I've never known of that method of deleting one's own post before. I expected to see an option after clicking the edit post button

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast