Thread: Ryzen vs Ryzen

Beans

Ryzen vs Ryzen

Hello everybody, I have a question to users with ryzen first gen 1700 and threadripper 1920x,
    who is using those cpu's? editing - streaming? which distro? I want to upgrade soon my editing pc and I'm not sure which one to buy in the next future.pro and cons please.Mainly I'm using Kdenlive, and are welcome your build ideas.
    I'm upgrading from 4590 with 1060/6Gb main pc for rec/gaming etc, and 2500k / 750 ti with ubuntu 20.04 lts. dual boot it's not working for me, maybe i'm to noob or else.
    P.S: i used the search and no results for my question.
    thank you and stay safe.
    Last edited by eci79; April 30th, 2021 at 06:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ryzen vs Ryzen

Those first gen Ryzens are great, especially stepping up from Sandy Bridge, but each subsequent Zen generation has had quite a big improvement over the previous one; go newer if you can.

As for what they're useful for: everything! Obviously they shine with explicitly multithreaded workloads like video encoding, installing updates, and gaming, but in general usage it means that you don't get one process interfering with another. Everything can just have its own set of threads.

You'll probably want to put a lot more information about your dual-booting issue in a new post, in the support section.

Beans

Thank you for your reply, i had some testings with early distros 10+years ago, and i gave up because was to noob, I started testing/using Linux distros because Kdenlive not working with gpu support on w10. but in the first 4 month was just a bugg gathering job. i don't know why. 3-4 pc's different pc parts and hdd/ssd's even the psu's was different, everytime i finished the day/night with 70% debugging. i almost gave up again lol. i had 3-4 pages open all the time with forums and searches just for debugs. finally i learned few things ok, and looks like ubuntu became more stable in the last month or so. dualboot: 1 win pc is with 2 accounts 2 separate ssd's and some common hdd's. for ubuntu i need more place in case and more sata connections and you know i don't want to be rude because the linux community it's doing a grate just must be in it till the neck to see this but never know when update can crash everything. and with 2 pc's can keep doing more than dualbooting. if i will start streaming anyway i will need 2 pc's. the question is how stable can be Linux on first maybe 2nd gen ryzens. i know the 1xxx are old, but with latest bios updates and other stuff ryzen gen1 became a good thing. i think i will stay for a while with 1st gen because of the price. anyway will be a huge step up from what i have. and thinking better of what i have i can't complain lol. ubuntu 20.04 on old pc like my 2500k and 750ti is doing a great job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Something you might want to consider might be a used Dell precision workstation. I recently purchased a Precision T5600 for $230.00 on eBay. It came with one Xeon 2620, 6 core, 12 threads. I added a second one I found on eBay for $8.50 and spent another $15.00 on the proprietary heat sink and fan to go with it. It's a pretty nice system and did not break the bank! I added a 1 TB SSD and went a little overboard on RAM, it has 128 GB of DDR3 ECC now. It came with 16 GB but I had the cash from weeks of overtime and figured why not.

There are plenty of used workstations out there and even though they are not the latest, greatest they do a nice job at a fraction of the cost. I ordered my son a T5600 and a T3600 as a backup rig. HP workstations seem popular too. The downside to going this route is proprietary components. Used parts availably seems very good though. I have had no problem buying parts when I upgraded mine. You can not overclock these systems, that is processor and memory but there really is no need to. The models I choose had Linux compatibility but I have not really tested that yet. Redhat and Ubuntu appeared to be compatible. A Google search would likely yield results since you are currently dual booting Windows and Ubuntu.

Just throwing out ideas! A Threadripper would make a pretty darn awesome rig too!

Beans

your idea sounds good mister, but on aliexpres on the last 2 weeks the prices are dropping fast, i've seen under 80 dollars ryzen 7 1700,second gen ryzen 2700x foe 110$. threadripper first gen 1920 was 100ish? meanwhile i've the job what is keeping me away for weeks from home but in the next month or so i hope prices will drop more. and i can do an overkill editing rig i have some trust issues with OEM rigs. in my past had few and not verry happy with them. and where is the feeling without building it yourself? question is how well is acting linux on those first and second gen ryzens? thank you for your advice it's a back up
    P.S: I'm not dual booting and i don't want to do it. 2 pc's are more ussefull in my opinnion i can game + recording on one whille the 2nd is doing the export. my new job is leaving me few days free after weeks of be away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

eci79, I agree about the building it yourself comment! I built my son a gaming system a few months back, prices were better then. I like your thoughts about using two PC's, smart idea and easier to keep things running smoothly. The only real problem I have ran into with using proprietary systems has been the stupid handle on the inside of the side panel. I picked up a Precision T3600 recently with a Xeon E5-2690 and 64 GB of RAM. I installed an Asus GTX 1650 in it and could not put the side panel back on because of the darn handle in the way! A few hits with a hammer broke the spot welds that held it on and problem solved!

As far as Ryzen compatibility my only experience is with a Ryzen 5 2600. It worked fine with Ubuntu. As far as compatibility with Threadripper my best guess is it should be fine, especially with newer kernels. Personally, a system with the Threadripper would be awesome if you can pick up a motherboard for a good price. I would research any motherboard you are interested in if you plan to buy it from Aliexpress, some of their boards are kind of dodgy.