Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasing KVM network interface to 1Gbps

Beans

Re: Increasing KVM network interface to 1Gbps

I don't exactly remember the initial Xubuntu install, but I'm guessing it was 16.04 or 16.10. I did incremental OS upgrades for every release up to 20.04, and decided to stop there and just jump between LTS releases going forward. Nowhere in that upgrade cycle did netplan get activated and I never ran across it prior to this discussion. Yes, I've used ifup/ifdown/ifquery/ifconfig/xinetd in addition to manually editing the network files ever since migrating from Solaris to the current Linux system.

I suspect that there is a lot more to using netplan than just creating the /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml. Online documentation refers to other configuration files, and I'm guessing that some existing networking services need to be stopped and others started in order to get this working properly. And what benefit would I garner? So far, it just seems like a new configuration front-end. Is there more to netplan than that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cjsmall View Post
    I suspect that there is a lot more to using netplan than just creating the /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml. Online documentation refers to other configuration files, and I'm guessing that some existing networking services need to be stopped and others started in order to get this working properly. And what benefit would I garner? So far, it just seems like a new configuration front-end. Is there more to netplan than that?
    I don't know what, if anything, netplan improved. For the last 10 yrs, most Linux changes have seemed to be about developers chasing "the new hotness" for CV padding. Many changes with reason were to fix issues that nobody had.
    I do know that netplan config created by the installer didn't work for me on 18.04 Server until Feb 2020. Prior installations all failed. Upgrades retained the ifup/down packages and config files, which I'm still using on all my 18.04 systems.

I have a few test 20.04 and test 21.04 systems using netplan for trivial needs. My dislike of network-manager is about the same as my dislike for pulse audio, resolvconf, and avahi. All of those broke things that were already working for something way too big, way tooo complex and way toooooo unneeded.
    Netplan isn't any better or worse than the old "interfaces" file, IMHO. It uses YAML, which almost all programmers know already, to provide structure to config settings. Meh. Not bad, not good, except we have to learn something new. Would have been nice if a conversion tool from interfaces --> netplan.yaml was included by default that handled 99% of possible settings. The most common stuff really isn't THAT different, just needs keywords to be converted and almost any scripting language (perl, python, ruby) can easily dump a structure as YAML correctly.

With netplan, don't leave any excess .yaml files in the config directory. Rename the extension to disable them.
    Code:
    $ ls /etc/netplan/
    01-ens3-static.yaml
    is what my 20.04 file looks like. It is a bonehead file:
    $ more /etc/netplan/01-ens3-static.yaml
    Code:
    network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
         ens3:
           addresses:
              - 172.22.22.3/24
           dhcp4: false
           dhcp6: false
           gateway4: 172.22.22.1
           nameservers:
             addresses: [ 172.22.22.80, 172.22.22.81  ]
    Then I run
    Code:
    sudo netplan generate
    sudo netplan apply --debug
    I still don't see the improvement with this over older methods. The file requirements are much more complex than what was needed before. Somehow, it must be systemd's fault. We know that, right?

Beans

I don't know why my last reply disappeared.

I've been upgrading incrementally ever since 16.04 or 16.10 (can't remember exactly) up through 20.04. I decided to stop that and now only jump between LTS releases. Nowhere during those upgrades was netplan mentioned or offered. I never heard about it until reading this thread.

Anyway, what benefit would it offer me at this point? It seems like just another front-end way of managing the network files. Other than setting up the initial network and very occasionally adding a new machine to the host file or replacing a router, I really do very little reconfiguring the network. However, maybe I'm missing something.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most people using a GUI would use network-manager.
    Netplan is for non-GUI setups (i.e. servers) and for people like me who hate network-manager with a passion.

The difficulty happens when someone needs a bridge and isn't happy with the default NAT setup that libvirt provides. Back in 2010, the networking that any hypervisor setup was really slow when compared to what we could accomplish with the brctl or "interfaces" file, so I stopped using everything else back then. On GigE networks, the bridge-utils provides 920Mbps. On 10GigE connections, there is openv-switch which does much better, but isn't worth it for GigE.

Beans

Oops, there's my repeated comment!. Thank you for the detailed netplan info. I guess I won't touch things that don't need fixing but it's great to know about all of this for when I run into it in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree with TheFu's last few comments. I stayed with server 16.04 as long as I could and went back to ifupdown for my short time with server 18.04. I went directly from 16.04 to Debian Bullseye for my main server, because I didn't want to use netplan. My test server is Ubuntu 20.04 though.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12