Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Upgrading to Ubuntu 21.04 Is Not a Good Idea Right Now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgrading to Ubuntu 21.04 Is Not a Good Idea Right Now

The bug they mention was in the release notes.

From an answer I wrote on askubuntu (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1333...333229#1333229)

The release of the ISO has only just occurred; the update from prior releases doesn't get opened until a decision is made on the stability of the new release (watching bug reports etc) & a decision is made to turn the taps (where people are offered the upgrade). I'd recommend being patient and waiting until you're offered the upgrade.

You can use -d to force... but refer to the Ubuntu 21.04 Release Notes where you'll note
    Upgrades from Ubuntu 20.10 to Ubuntu 21.04 are not enabled as it is possible for some systems to end up in an unbootable state if they use EFI version 1.10 - bug 1925010. Release upgrades will be enabled once an updated version of shim is available which is compatible with EFI version 1.10.
    I don't think it's anything more than that (originally reported on apple devices, but also impacts lenovo as I recall & thus likely other brands too, but I haven't watched it)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to ULOS.

This has come up a couple of times in support threads over the last few days:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2461018

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2461152
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had no issues with my Ryzen based desktop upgrading from 20.04 -> 20.10 -> 21.04.

I had problems with a fresh install of Ubuntu 21.04 on my Dec 2011 HP Elitebook 8460p. The BIOS warns, that its UEFI implementation is a prototype, but I have the latest BIOS. I now have to boot the system using the BIOS Boot menu with the UEFI file system entry. If I switch off UEFI support in the BIOS, the system does not recognize the GUID partition table and demands me to install an OS.

Maybe I should have initialized the new 2TB HDD with the MBR/DOS partition table before installing Ubuntu, but I just moved ~1TB of backups to that new HDD. I'm too lazy to start everything again.

I bought this off-lease laptop in May 2017 during a visit to family in Belgium/Netherlands. Next year I go back for a holidays and I intended to use the same supplier again. At home I use the laptop mainly to backup my desktop once per week, so I will live with this annoyance for 11 months more.

I'm planning to add an SSD as ZFS cache for the HDD. I'll create a MBR/DOS partition table on the SSD and maybe I can store the boot loader there.

This UEFI/GUID combination has been one of the splendid ideas of Microsoft to harm its competitors, thank you Bill.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; May 10th, 2021 at 07:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This issue seems to have been fixed

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/05/...-04-from-20-10

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Personally I am using Ubuntu 21.04 Lubuntu. It works just fine for me.