Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mssql support

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: mssql support

One thing I'm not sure about, and maybe someone else here does(?) is the PAL layer. On Windows, that never existed. For MS SQL Server on Linux, they divided their code up into waht was the DB Engine application code, and the platform specific code....

In MS SQL Server 2019 is that on all platforms or just for Linux? Is there a resource footprint difference for each?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 25th, 2021 at 11:21 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SQL Server is a generic term. Let's be specific so not to add to any confusion. DB2, MS-SQL, Oracle DBMS, MySQL, Postgresql are all "SQL Servers".

MS-SQL is Microsoft SQL.

Adding a year after the generic term is for the SQL language standard for that year.
    Add the 2 leading characters, "MS". Stop the confusion, please, especially in discussions for non-Microsoft environments where MS cannot be assumed. Not everyone lives in Redmond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jcaliff View Post
    My office is finally upgrading to MSSQL 2019. I'm struggling to understand if deploying this on Ubuntu is a good idea or not, and I have a few questions.

1. Has adutil been replaced by Ubuntu's flashy new AD support? If so, how do we enable mssql Windows Auth with new tools? If not, is there a way to use adutil on 20.04? If neither... I don't know!
    2. Is there any kind of best practices documentation for taking advantage of the new and improved mssql support in 20.04/21.04 in an on-premises deployment?
    To get answers to questions 1 and 2, you'll need to hear from someone using those. I have a mixed environment but never tied my Linux servers to the Windows AD domain...which may or may not have been a good idea and usually depends on the situation. The 1st reply you got from TheFu sums up exactly what I would say. MS-SQL Server is primarily a Windows-platform system and I would recommend running it on a Windows server. Very similar to my recommendation that if you have a Windows environment, you need to be running directory services on a Windows server rather than Linux...otherwise you are adding multiple layers of complexity that others coming in behind you may not be able to support.

Regarding use of Ubuntu servers, only use LTS versions for production systems (18.04, 20.04, 22.04, etc.) and avoid interim releases (20.10, 21.04, 21.10 etc.)

I understand wanting to use Ubuntu...trust me, I do. But the above is just my opinion regarding this kind of situation.

LHammonds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12