Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to fully switch to Linux, need info please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Trying to fully switch to Linux, need info please!

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    That's something you could test with an Ubuntu Live-USB stick or Live-CD/DVD. While the live session is running, plug-in the USB cable that is attached to your phone (which should be set to USB-tethering) into the computer and then open a terminal and type in this command:

Code:
    sudo dmesg
    You should see some kind of reaction, e.g. your system telling you that it can see a new network device on the USB port.

When I do that here with my Samsung Galaxy phone (set to USB tethering) and an Ubuntu 20.04 installation I get this:

Code:
    [ 2408.360953] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
    [ 2408.524369] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6860, bcdDevice= c.00
    [ 2408.524377] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 2408.524382] usb 2-1: Product: SAMSUNG_Android
    [ 2408.524387] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
    [ 2408.524392] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: xxxxxxxxxxx
    [ 2411.285817] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 5
    [ 2411.809001] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
    [ 2411.967593] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6863, bcdDevice= c.00
    [ 2411.967602] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 2411.967607] usb 2-1: Product: SAMSUNG_Android
    [ 2411.967612] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
    [ 2411.967616] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    [ 2412.033043] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
    [ 2412.038880] rndis_host 2-1:1.0 usb0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:1d.7-1, RNDIS device, xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    [ 2412.045373] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host
    In that very moment my desktop's top panel also showed a new "Ethernet" network icon. So there definitely was a reaction and it worked.

So that's something you should definitely be able to test in a Live session too.
    Thank you! I'll try that!

Beans

99% of software from Windows is not problem to run on Linux thanks to WineHQ... but well, Adobe's products are so ******, that are in 1% of "hardly" working on Windows, and it will not work on Linux...
    Well, but I think there are alternatives to a lot of software, that support adobe's file format. You can search on https://alternativeto.net/ if your software doesn't run on Linux.

For gaming there is project called "Lutris" that can run a lot of games, ofc Fortnite is one as well ****** software, that doesn't run under WineHQ. But I had no problem with other games.

Music production software should not be problem, and there are a lot of alternatives, if yes, but I still believe You will be able to run Your apps under WineHQ.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just ran the Live USB. As soon as i enabled USB sharing on my phone Ubuntu recognized the device and connected me to the internet!
    I then tried youtube and my audio interface works without a problem!

Off to a great start!

Quote Originally Posted by mlocik97 View Post
    99% of software from Windows is not problem to run on Linux thanks to WineHQ... but well, Adobe's products are so ******, that are in 1% of "hardly" working on Windows, and it will not work on Linux...
    Well, but I think there are alternatives to a lot of software, that support adobe's file format. You can search on https://alternativeto.net/ if your software doesn't run on Linux.

For gaming there is project called "Lutris" that can run a lot of games, ofc Fortnite is one as well ****** software, that doesn't run under WineHQ. But I had no problem with other games.

Music production software should not be problem, and there are a lot of alternatives, if yes, but I still believe You will be able to run Your apps under WineHQ.
    Yeah, i'll search for alternatives. If nothing else, i'll run them in a virtual machine, it should be good enough for that.
    Luckily i don't care about Fortnite, i mostly only play Guild Wars 2 and nothing else, and that game works so no problems with that. And yes, Lutris has an installer for it. Weirldy, it works even better on linux with DXVK than native windows hahaha! Vulkan is awesome!

I'm hoping one day Affinity can make their software for linux as well, but if not native, i just hope it can work with WIne. If they manage that, that's all i need. I'd like to be rid of adobe sooner or later, not because it's bad software, but because i dislike their subscription model.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried to do away with Windows a number of years ago. Did well for awhile. At the end though I accepted that one needs the proper tool for the job. Can everything you want realistically be done on Linux? Yes most likely. Is some of it more trouble than it should be? Yes in some cases. For me I use Linux for almost everything and I keep a pci passthrough vm available on my desktop for games via Windows. I never had much success with Wine + it's frontends.

I really believe this is the solid answer for me is the pairing of the two. The raw stability of the underlying linux system on lvm with the availability of Windows software natively (for all purposes). It's a win win.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12