Thread: Macbook-Pro 2015 loses internet connection when suspended and bluetooth is off

Beans

Question Macbook-Pro 2015 loses internet connection when suspended and bluetooth is off

PROBLEM
    Once the laptop is suspended (or lid closed) with bluetooth turned off and you resume your session back again (login again), it doesn't connect to the network anymore.
    When I resume the session, I have aready tried to perform all the below steps and none of them make the system connect again to my wi-fi:

1. $ sudo service network-manager restart
    2. $ sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service
    3. When logging again, I tried to turn on the bluetooth, but it doesn't work. Once the connection is lost, turning on bluetooth doesn't help.

This only happens when the bluetooth is turned off. When it is turned on, I can close the lid and login back again and the internet will work as usual.

CURRENT WORKAROUND
    Turn off and back on the network with nmcli.

$sudo nmcli networking off
    $sudo nmcli networking on

However, this is a workaround, i don't want to have to run cmd every time I close my laptop and login it back again.

------

System information:

Intel Core i7-5557U CPU @ 3.10Ghz
    x86
    64-bit
    Ubuntu 20.04
    Kernel 5.8.0-50-generic
    BIOS version 425.0.0.0
    biosdecodee 3.2
    Last edited by schulzalbrecht; April 26th, 2021 at 01:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Macbook-Pro 2015 loses internet connection when suspended and bluetooth is off

Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users for a better fit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Macbook-Pro 2015 loses internet connection when suspended and bluetooth is off

Quote Originally Posted by schulzalbrecht View Post
    CURRENT WORKAROUND
    Turn off and back on the network with nmcli.

$sudo nmcli networking off
    $sudo nmcli networking on

However, this is a workaround, i don't want to have to run cmd every time I close my laptop and login it back again.
    Why not auto-execute your workaround upon resume? Why do it manually when you can configure systemd to do it for you, automatically?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...uted-at-resume
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1130...d-after-resume

I've never tried this with a 2015 MacBook Pro but back in the day when my 2009 MacBook Pro wasn't as properly supported as it is now I also had to resort to such workarounds. And they tend to work surprisingly well.

Beans

I will very likely do it, as you suggested.
    I posted the question though because I saw similar threads with different laptops/processors where the issue has been corrected with a new firmware installation. So I thought someone could give me a similar answer, as this would be a more elegant solution to this problem.

Thanks for the links, I will definitely use them to implement a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by schulzalbrecht View Post
    I posted the question though because I saw similar threads with different laptops/processors where the issue has been corrected with a new firmware installation.
    Over time I am sure this will happen. My MacBook Pro 5,4 (from 2009) works tip top with Linux now, out of the box. As if it was designed for Linux. Back in 2009/2010 running Linux on this thing was a nightmare, nothing worked, or needed lots of workarounds and hacks. I even needed to install a special "made for Apple machines" community version of Ubuntu to get it to boot.

Now? Nothing like that. I can use the normal x86_64 ISO like for a normal PC and everything just works on the first try. No more workarounds needed, no more hacking, no more messing with special configuration files. I boot the installer DVD or USB stick, I install .. and everything just works. And the performance is tip top.

I am sure it will be the same for your 2015 MacBook Pro sooner or later.