Thread: Dropped connections and low signal strength, RTL8822BE card, Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Dropped connections and low signal strength, RTL8822BE card, Ubuntu 20.04

I have a Lenovo Yoga 730 laptop running Ubuntu 20.04, with a Realtek RTL882BE wifi card. The internet is functional at home, although the signal strength is somewhat low. At my office, the wireless connection frequently drops, and sometimes the computer will stop detecting wireless networks at all. I get the sense there are some issues between Ubuntu and these Realtek chips, and I'm wondering if that's happening in my case.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw88, and changing the antenna selection as described there. As far as I can tell, it didn't have any effect.

Here's the output of the wireless-info script: https://pastebin.com/1cXQPKuA
    I ran it from home, but can run it again from work, where the problem is worse, tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dropped connections and low signal strength, RTL8822BE card, Ubuntu 20.04

Welcome.

This one seems to be the current recommendation and installing it with dkms avoids the need to reinstall whenever the kernel is upgraded: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1263...8-04-and-20-04

Beans

Thanks! Should I be worried that the name of the driver (RTL8812AU) is different from the name of the chip?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, not really.

The linked Q&A was answered by an expert. So, the driver supports several chips of the same family, the name is not that important.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

CelticWarrior-

The module aliases for the driver you linked don't include his device:

Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter [10ec:b822]
    Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkPad E595 [17aa:b023]
    Code:
    chili@T440p:~/rtl8812au$ modinfo 88XXau.ko | grep B822
    chili@T440p:~/rtl8812au$
    Sorry.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That answer need to be corrected or deleted then. Because it was posted by Pilot6, who usually knows about this things and was accepted so...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I doubt that @Yadu had the exact same b822 device.

In any case, it is inadvisable for @allispaul to install it as we know it won't work.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.