Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrate from freenas to ubuntu server

Beans

Migrate from freenas to ubuntu server

Hello everybody, i'm first time poster long time reader! I'm quite new for nas/server stuff so sorry for stupid questions beforehand...

So i have old computer running freenas Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U5. I use it to store media files images, videos and music. It uses mainly samba shares.

Computers/NAS specs are following:
    • Amd phenom x3 720 phenom (pretty old)
    • 8 gb of ram (this is one reason to use ubuntu)
    • some cheap nvidia card (I honestly forget it is only because pc did not boot without graphics card)
    • 2x 1000gb hard drives (zfs)
    • 500gb boot ssd (os)

So i will move from freenas to ubuntu server...

The freenas has single pool with those 2 drives. They are mirrored and using zfs. OS is installed on seperate ssd. I have single pool with multiple sub-folders and ACL configured for 3 different users.

I mainly use this to store files, coding projects etc. Recently i have been in need for some isolated dev/test environments. So my idea was to use it as server. Mainly behave like nas but option to spin up virtual machine that can act like VPS server for example. These VM would be quite small and do not require much computing power. For example to develop some docker app i would spin up VM with nginx and docker then push containers to that and test and experiment. Sometimes maybe python, lamp, databases or node or whatever. No need for ui, terminal access is fine. I don't need to code in there just to run applications and experiments. I can propably survive with that stuff but the NAS side is little bit confusing for me now..

So now to the questions...

1.Those two 1000gb drives are at raid-1 (mirrored) what happens when i import these to ubuntu server?

• Does the mirroring be the same in ubuntu server or do i need to configure it again somehow?
    • Do i have to import one, format another and then mirror the disk containing data or will ubuntu figure out they are mirrored?

2. Is ACL only freenas and not disk related?

• I assume that all ACL configuration will be lost and i need to do it again in ubuntu server samba configuration?

3. I assume S.M.A.R.T checks need to be configured again?

4. I should propably allocate space in 500gb os drive for VM to use?

5. Ubuntu has proper fzs support and importing works fine?

6. My current structure (in pool) is not ideal it is: Pool -> folders (user specific ACL) -> some data

• How this effects to mounting? Can i do -> /pool/folder(user specific)/data
    • Or do i have to split it to multiple pools like pool(user)/folders/data

7. Maybe just copy all data to external source format everything and start again? (would be reaaaaaaaaally long project with these file sizes)

I have searched internet a lot and found many good examples and points but the things i just listed are little hazy for me and i don't know the answer...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Migrate from freenas to ubuntu server

If you can't afford to lose the data, then make a backup first.

I've never used any home NAS, so I can't answer the other questions with authority about transferring.

Using ACLs on storage is asking for a mess. Just use normal Unix permissions. Both are stored in the file systems, but where the issue will probably arrive is that userids will almost certainly be different unless you go out of your way to ensure they do not change for the owner and groups used on disk.

Why use Samba? Can't NFS be used or setup a streaming server like Plex, MiniDLNA, or one of the 5 other projects?
    I would expect ZFS across different OSes to be nearly completely compatible, but check the versions on both platforms.

Copying 1TB is nothing. Just a few hours.

Beans

The Smb is for windows machine and because of that ACL are set... Nas is accessed from multiple os like ubuntu, android and windows. Occasionally by ps4...

About those plex and others, i thought those only share media files like music and images. Can they be used for text/code files also?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linre-90 View Post
    The Smb is for windows machine and because of that ACL are set... Nas is accessed from multiple os like ubuntu, android and windows. Occasionally by ps4...

About those plex and others, i thought those only share media files like music and images. Can they be used for text/code files also?
    If you want to share text and code, use git or something like Nextcloud/Seafile/Owncloud. For ebooks/pdfs, I use calibre. Most NAS systems have a 1-click install for those. Running a git server took me about 5 minutes to figure out. Read 1 page in Pro GIT to understand it.

Samba is the least good option for file sharing of 20 other choices.

You read text files on a PS4?

I will admit these things:
    • My nextcloud server accesses most of the files and data off an NFS server.
    • My Calibre server accesses most of the files and data off an NFS server.
    • My Plex, jellyfin, Kodi and mpd servers access most of the files and data off an NFS server.
    • NFS is faster and provides native Unix permission controls. POSIX permissions, going without is a hardship.

My git and wallabag servers don't use NFS, just local storage.

Beans

No not reading text files with ps4. In fact i think, i lastly accessed nas with playsation when it was still running omv. It had dlna...

Anyway ubuntu + nextcloud + calibre seems pretty interesting combo. Have to dig into that more.

But regardless of path i'm gonna go probably the best way is to pull data to external source and start from scratch...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And samba isn't always bad. Sometimes it is the least bad choice.

The only trick is for different shares to be created if you need different permissions. Then put users into the necessary groups by which shares they need to access. No need for ACLs that way. On Unix, ACLs are not in-your-face, so we don't really notice them, but they can override normal POSIX permissions, which is what all Unix systems use.

I was testing some samba stuff this morning for performance and got 113 MB/sec transferring a 1.9G file. I think the disk buffers hid the true speed disk-to-disk, so I ran the test going forwards and backwards ... only got about 72 MBps (570 Mbps) that way - HDD to HDD over the network. That's much more realistic for the storage involved.

If you don't need to transcode any media, then calibre and nextcloud and some DLNA server can run from a raspberry Pi v3 or newer. A v4 Pi has real USB3 support and GigE NIC, so it could be a network backup server. That's always needed. RAID never replaces backups, even ZFS RAID-whatever.

Beans

True, i have raided the disks mainly because the other disk is much older and will fail at some point, sooner or later. Anyway i also have backups from the most important stuff in complete separate drive outside system.

I also found about something named proxmox that actually seems pretty interesting too and it might be very good match for my use case. Or i could buy pie for experiments and keep nas just a nas. Or make pie my new nas and play with old pc....

Have to do some thinking....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Proxmox is nice. That's about all I can contribute to this conversation.

LHammonds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linre-90 View Post
    True, i have raided the disks mainly because the other disk is much older and will fail at some point, sooner or later. Anyway i also have backups from the most important stuff in complete separate drive outside system.

I also found about something named proxmox that actually seems pretty interesting too and it might be very good match for my use case. Or i could buy pie for experiments and keep nas just a nas. Or make pie my new nas and play with old pc....

Have to do some thinking....
    Good on RAID and backups.

I used proxmox around 2010 for a few weeks. It takes over the system completely, so don't expect to run a desktop on it, except inside a virtual machine which would be accessed from another machine over the network. Proxmox is interesting. For a small business that plans to have a few physical VM servers and wants them to be clustered, Proxmox is probably the easiest solution. We can roll our own using ZFS or sheepdog with KVM or if we aren't tied to Ubuntu Server, RHEL and those flavors have oVirt. I use a simple virt-manager setup with libvirt and KVM on LVM storage. LVM or ZFS bring enterprise storage volume management to all types of Linux systems. Both are rock solid. LVM is purely volume management, whereas ZFS is both volume management AND a file system. If I were starting new today, I'd skip LVM completely and use ZFS.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Migrate from freenas to ubuntu server

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Good on RAID and backups.

I used proxmox around 2010 for a few weeks. It takes over the system completely, so don't expect to run a desktop on it, except inside a virtual machine which would be accessed from another machine over the network. Proxmox is interesting. For a small business that plans to have a few physical VM servers and wants them to be clustered, Proxmox is probably the easiest solution. We can roll our own using ZFS or sheepdog with KVM or if we aren't tied to Ubuntu Server, RHEL and those flavors have oVirt. I use a simple virt-manager setup with libvirt and KVM on LVM storage. LVM or ZFS bring enterprise storage volume management to all types of Linux systems. Both are rock solid. LVM is purely volume management, whereas ZFS is both volume management AND a file system. If I were starting new today, I'd skip LVM completely and use ZFS.

Interesting stuff... I desided to build entirely new server when gpu and cpu prices are somewhat reasonable. This 12 years old beaten machine starts to be end of it's life cycle. Noticed today when i was connecting kb and monitor that it smells little bit like burned capacitor, so i don't think it has much time left. I will inspect hell out of virtualization and start putting together suitable machine to satisfy my nas and VM thirst...

And to answer some questions i asked in the first post.
    • As freenas states in documentation "ACL stands for Access Control List, which designates access control entries for users and administrators on FreeNAS systems, specifically for Windows SMB shares." So i think it does not impact impact pool/drive importing in ubuntu. But it migth be good idea to remove ACL to reduce risk, how ever i might be wrong! Please correct me.
    • Smart checks can be handled with smartmontools
    • Ubuntu supports zfs. If not 100% happy with old structure back up data and configure pool again.

However i don't know how the mirroring behaves when importing i assume ubuntu zfs can catch it? My understanding is that mirroring configuration lives inside pool -> it is available when pool is imported or mounted?

So if somebody knows please leave answer for future reference and correct me if i'm wrong...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast