Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: i've installed Ubuntu 21.04, but i don't have internet.

Beans

Re: i've installed Ubuntu 21.04, but i don't have internet.

ok people
    but i'm not sure that my question about buying a new network card has been answered. will it work in your opinion with another card which isn't built in card?
    thank you for the help
    next time it will happen i will try to shut down windows instead of rebooting.
    LOVE!!!
    my desktop computer has Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjjjg8885 View Post
    but i'm not sure that my question about buying a new network card has been answered. will it work in your opinion with another card which isn't built in card?
    If the issue isn't with the NIC, then no, a new card won't help. It could be the switch, cables, something else.

If the issue is with the NIC, then disable to built-in NIC through the BIOS and use the addon NIC. Don't let them be connected to the same physical subnet.

In enterprises, it is common to have 6 NIC ports on a server and to bond 2 ports each onto 1 subnet thanks to some ethernet standards for redundancy and failover that enterprise switches support. Cheap home switches usually don't support those protocols until we start buying "managed switches."
    I have 3 ports on some of my "desktop" servers, but that's because well-supported NICs don't fail often enough to need redundancy. These are normal desktop machines, just used as servers. Much lower power use, much quieter, but still very capable to run 10-30 VMs. The different ports are for connections to different physical networks. I don't trust vlans for security. If I did, I could have 1 NIC, 3 IPs, and VLAN capable networking gear to make it all logical, not physical, network design.

So, the answer is "it depends." There have been suggestions made which appear to be ignored. OTOH, having a quality NIC can be useful for all sorts of reasons, but nobody here knows whether it will help or not. Only you can decide. My rule is simple. Avoid Realtek and I wouldn't buy a Marvell for a replacement.

Beans

i will have to check your suggestions because i've a problem again after doing a partial upgrade.
    my desktop computer has Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If the above suggestions don't help, you could try a USB ethernet dongle. I have one because I was concerned about internal NIC support on a new motherboard. I did try it and it worked as expected. I find it handy having standby hardware, it's the simplest way for me to check whether hardware is being problematic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123