Thread: ufw is blocking webcam when launching Webex meeting app from browser

Beans

ufw is blocking webcam when launching Webex meeting app from browser

Good morning everyone,

My current OS is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit. The current Firefox version is 87.0.

I have been experiencing a problem with the Webex meeting app that is launched from Firefox. The problem is that I cannot receive or emit video from my laptop's webcam. I can hear everyone OK, they can also hear me, and I can see presentations and interact with meeting attendees. The problem is only the video. This is not a huge problem, but my boss gets a bit nervous when he cannot see me. So I want to get to the bottom of this.

I have already installed the Cisco Webex extension on Firefox, installed ubuntu-restricted-extras as recommended by the Cisco Webex help center, troubleshoot my webcam with command
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -v uvcvideo

My Webcam has no issues, installing ubuntu-restricted-extras was a waste of time. Yet the video still does not work on the bloody Webex browser app .

The good news is that I think I found the solution. When I disable ufw, everything works fine. Except that I had to disable the ufw. I was digging on the "Webex Meetings Web App Known Issues and Limitations" for clues about this, and I could find that Webex video uses ports UDP 9000 and TCP 5004. I immediately included these rules in my ufw but again went back to the frustrating video issue.

So I am calling the forum for some help here.

Thanks in advance for your attention. I could not find a similar thread. My apologies if this has been already solved.

Best Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ufw is blocking webcam when launching Webex meeting app from browser

Welcome.

Ubuntu 16.04 will be EoL in a matter of days. There's no point in troubleshooting.

Beans

Re: ufw is blocking webcam when launching Webex meeting app from browser

Thank you CelticWarrior. You are right. So I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04.05 LTS.

And I finally found a solution to my problem. The problem was very silly actually. It turns out I was using the wrong command to allow ports UDP 9000 and TCP 5004. With commands
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow out 5004/tcp && sudo ufw allow out 9000/udp
    the camera is emitting video and I can see everyone ok. The 'out' part in the syntax is important. Perhaps there is a more secure way to do this?

I hope this is helpful to someone