Thread: Variable inside Bash Script - Not getting used (variable name used instead)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Variable inside Bash Script - Not getting used (variable name used instead)

Hi All,

I am trying to write a bash script using a variable to run some backups.

This is my script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

vDateTime=$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M)

echo $vDateTime

rsync -r -a -v -e 'ssh -p22' username@192.168.1.105:/var/ media/Data2/Backups/ServerXYZ/\$vDateTime/

When I run the script it correctly 'echos' the date and time, showing, say: 20210424-1527

However, the rsync creates a new directory called '$vDateTime' (rather than '20210421-1527') - both without the quotes.

I tried it on a single command line, and it works fine thus:

Code:
    bash -l -c "var=$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M); rsync -r -a -v -e 'ssh -p22' username@192.168.1.105:/var/ /media/Data2/Backups/ServerXYZ/\$var/

Once I get that working, I want to run a similar command, across multiple machines, and get all the backups to have the same folder name (YYYYMMDD-HHMM), and then run a zip on the backup folders.

I can just concatenate everything into one big 'bash -l -c ...' command, but I'd like to understand why the script is failing, and what I am missing.

Hope that makes sense - please ask me to clarify if not.

Thanks,

Alan.

Beans

Re: Variable inside Bash Script - Not getting used (variable name used instead)

Look into the use of the export keyword for variables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Herman.

Tried exporting the variable like this as per the bash man page, but it still fails:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

export vDateTime=$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M)

echo $vDateTime

rsync -r -a -v -e 'ssh -p22' username@ServerX:/var/ /media/Data2/Backups/ServerX/\$vDateTime/

rsync -r -a -v -e 'ssh -p22' username@ServerY:/var/ /media/Data2/Backups/ServerY/\$vDateTime/

There's no immediately obvious reason why it is working for the echo command, but not for the rsyncs.

Alan.
    Last edited by Alan5127; April 24th, 2021 at 08:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Found that the issue was actually escaping the variable name.

This works:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

export vDateTime=$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M)

echo $vDateTime

rsync -r -a -v -e 'ssh -p22' username@ServerX:/var/ /media/Data2/Backups/ServerX/$vDateTime/

rsync -r -a -v -e 'ssh -p22' username@ServerY:/var/ /media/Data2/Backups/ServerY/$vDateTime/

Alan.

Beans

Beware of unbalanced quotes.