Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VAAPI in Chromium Based (Brave, Chrome) Browsers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: VAAPI in Chromium Based (Brave, Chrome) Browsers

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Both of the "from here" links should direct you to the ppa archive pages.
    Not sure why it's trying to get you to login to launchpad.
    Yeah, that's the dumbest thing I have encountered in this little attempt... This screenshot is what I was getting.

Screenshot_20210425_204412.jpg

However, I opened the site with Firefox, instead of Brave, and was able to download the files necessary.

New Problem:

Screenshot_20210425_204654.png

Not sure how to satisfy the dependencies here. Can anyone assist on this?

3rd Day Rant: This is turning into an outright nightmare... Why is this so flippin' difficult? I mean, surely, there are plenty of Linux users out there who have Nvidia Graphics cards who want HW Video Decoding in the Browser? I really don't know why this is something that has to be built out of legos, and isn't already built into the browser.

UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!

On that note... Shout out to Tony George (teegee2008) for his amazing project "Timeshift." This has saved me a few times during this annoying escapade.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

First off, I get that it's frustrating, but don't slaughter our eyes with a bunch of giant fonts. Thanks

Why is this so flippin' difficult?
    Because Nvidia doesn't support VA-API, and instead, you have to rely on some hacky, old wrapper that's not even maintained anymore. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=934397

Not sure how to satisfy the dependencies here.
    The problem is that you're taking an individual package that relies on other package versions in the PPA. Don't do that.
    If you don't want the whole PPA, then you can try building your own copy (not that difficult): https://github.com/xtknight/vdpau-va...-vp9#compiling
    In my experience, 20.04.x already has a recent enough version of libvdpau where you don't have to build your own copy of that, so this should do it:

Code:
    cd ~/ && mkdir source && cd source/
    sudo apt-get install build-essential git libvdpau-dev libva-dev libgl-dev
    git clone https://github.com/xtknight/vdpau-va-driver-vp9.git
    cd vdpau-va-driver-vp9
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; April 26th, 2021 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Add some dev packages user may not have

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    First off, I get that it's frustrating, but don't slaughter our eyes with a bunch of giant fonts. Thanks.
    It had to be done...

Because Nvidia doesn't support VA-API, and instead, you have to rely on some hacky, old wrapper that's not even maintained anymore. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=934397
    I get it. It just doesn't need to be so difficult. This is the 4th day of no-success. It's supposed to be a simple function. I mean, who doesn't want HW Accelleration for their Browser? Especially for simple things like video decoding?

The problem is that you're taking an individual package that relies on other package versions in the PPA. Don't do that.
    If you don't want the whole PPA, then you can try building your own copy (not that difficult): https://github.com/xtknight/vdpau-va...-vp9#compiling
    In my experience, 20.04.x already has a recent enough version of libvdpau where you don't have to build your own copy of that, so this should do it:
    I'm all for using a PPA... but there doesn't seem to be one that works. I have even tried using the Chromium Dev and Chromium Beta build PPA's instead of enabling it for Brave. That also doesn't work. I have attempted to follow this guide letter for letter, and nothing seems to work at all. So, either it's a bad guide, or I am missing something. And with the number of people saying "Thanks" at the bottom of the guide, I feel like I am missing something.

Code:
    cd ~/ && mkdir source && cd source/
    sudo apt-get install build-essential git libvdpau-dev libva-dev libgl-dev
    git clone https://github.com/xtknight/vdpau-va-driver-vp9.git
    cd vdpau-va-driver-vp9
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    [/QUOTE]
    Yep... this didn't work either.

I do appreciate all of the help, but it seems as if there is just no way to actually do this. One of the biggest problems I have always had with Linux in general is this strange attempt at getting "basic" functions working. It used to be the wireless driver on Laptops... Then they worked that into the Kernel. Then it was blacklisting Nouveau after installing the Nvidia proprietary driverss so my PC would actually boot.

Over the years, I have grown less interested in "forcing" a computer to do what I need it to... so, to me, the frustration is akin to having a really hot girlfriend who bitches at you all the time. Yup, she's hot... but look what you have to put up with...
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

Yep... this didn't work either.
    Be more specific. It didn't build? vainfo still fails? What?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Be more specific. It didn't build? vainfo still fails? What?
    There is an error on launch when I use "brave-browser --use-gl=desktop" It comes back with "GL is Desktop..." I forget the rest.

Question though: I had a friend tell me that HW Acceleration only activates VP9, and not h.264. Is this true?
    If this is the case, I am chasing rainbows here...
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

brave-browser --use-gl=desktop" It comes back with "GL is Desktop..." I forget the rest.
    That is unhelpful. Copy/paste the output.

Question though: I had a friend tell me that HW Acceleration only activates VP9, and not h.264. Is this true?
    Huh? Give a link to what you're talking about.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Well, I determined one of the problems. When trying to add the Chromium-Dev or Chromium-Beta PPA's, Ubuntu is your worst enemy.

Get this... After adding the PPA, running a "sudo apt update" and also pinning the priority at 1001, you still only download the snap.
    I went into Muon to verify this. The PPA doesn't actually do anything. The chromium-browser snap takes priority.

And... it get's even better!!!

I am not a big fan of snaps, so I decided to clean out the snap library, and remove snapd from the system. Also removed the snap program itself. And tested it by typing "snap list" and got nothing.

However, when I typed in "sudo apt install chromium-browser" after removing snap, and adding the PPA's... Lo and behold chromium-browser goes and installs snap on it's own.
    Found this website that verifies exactly what is happening. Read "Gotcha" at the bottom.

https://www.kevin-custer.com/blog/di...-ubuntu-20-04/

Truly, for the first time in my Linux life, I am actually offended by this!

1. Why in the living heck would a software package install a different installer?
    2. Why would APT install Snaps? Isn't it a supposed to be a different package manager?
    3. Why can't the new PPA override the old snap package?

Anyway... that's been my problem. I kept downloading the Snap of Chromium-Browser, and that's why nothing works.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Tried again... this time I get:

vainfo
    Code:
    libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_7
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
    vainfo: VA-API version: 1.10 (libva 2.10.0)
    vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API - 0.7.4
    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
          VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileMPEG4Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    : VAEntrypointVLD
          <unknown profile>               : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
    and Error message after typing "brave-browser --use-gl=desktop"

Code:
    [12690:12690:0427/183814.363952:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(426)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is desktop
    [12663:12663:0427/183814.455173:ERROR:profile_attributes_storage.cc(548)] Failed to PNG encode the image.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

vainfo
    Yeah, that looks good.

ERROR:gpu_init.cc(426)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is desktop
    I don't know what to tell you. I don't get much when I google that. Have you looked at CPU usage when playing an h.264 video to see if there's any difference?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't know what to tell you. I don't get much when I google that. Have you looked at CPU usage when playing an h.264 video to see if there's any difference?
    Doesn't seem to be.

I mean, it's not a major deal. I can decode 1080p on the CPU with no frame loss, and it all works great. The problem is, I like to run other apps in the background that utilize the CPU, and I'd like to do other things on my PC like, watch videos, and not have them take CPU cycles away from my other processes.

Ugh... I guess...

This just doesn't seem like it should be such a major problem.

Anyway, thank you very much for the help... even through my side-rants.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast