Thread: wifi doesn't automatically start on booting system

Beans

wifi doesn't automatically start on booting system

I was using Tp-Link for wifi but it was strong enough and switched to netgear wifi usb adapter. I'm using Ubuntu 20.10 but when I boot up computer the wifi adapter doesn't connect automatically. I have to go to system settings to manually start wifi connection. Is there a way that would make this automatically connect? Thx for help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: wifi doesn't automatically start on booting system

You start it manually now? How do you do that?
    Why can't you put that in an executable file that starts some few seconds after boot, or after you login?
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

I go to settings. click on wifi & look for wifi visible networks. click on that my visible network and then connects. Can you walk me thru steps to do that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Once you have used System Settings>WiFi to set up your WiFi connection to the router open System Settings>WiFi again and you should see a cog icon alongside your network connection. Click on that and a dialog will appear. It will contain a tick box labelled Connect automatically. This is the situation on 20.04. I cannot at the moment check 20.10 but it cannot be very different.

You need to set Wifi to automatically connect to the WiFi network. Not forget to click Apply.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Yes thx for help. I'm using ubuntu 21.04 now & have auto connect for wifi turned on.