Page 201 of 289 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2885

Thread: Hey! Guitar players, let's chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hey! Guitar players, let's chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Visti View Post
    especially in a home studio environment where VSTs and MIDI can improve everything immensely.
    Improve? They're essential!

don't shun MIDI just because it's MIDI until you've seen how far they've come with this stuff. I mean, drum synths and stuff like Garritan is invaluable for me and sounds completely organic if you know how to use it.
    Most people don't understand that MIDI is just interface control data.

Velocity-layered samples are very impressive and can pretty much replace the real thing -- and have. I use DFH run from my electronic drum set because I don't have room for my acoustic kit in the studio and I can' t take the noise anyway. With seven velocity layers taken from pro kits in a pro studio, it's really hard to tell the difference. I don't know how something like the Bosendorfer Grand Piano setup works for classical-grade keys, but drums are pretty much there.

A good, compact MIDI controller is absolutely essential for the home studio to run the myriad of softsynths out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
    Improve? They're essential!

Most people don't understand that MIDI is just interface control data.

Velocity-layered samples are very impressive and can pretty much replace the real thing -- and have. I use DFH run from my electronic drum set because I don't have room for my acoustic kit in the studio and I can' t take the noise anyway. With seven velocity layers taken from pro kits in a pro studio, it's really hard to tell the difference. I don't know how something like the Bosendorfer Grand Piano setup works for classical-grade keys, but drums are pretty much there.

A good, compact MIDI controller is absolutely essential for the home studio to run the myriad of softsynths out there.

I completely agree. I can't imagine composing stuff without DFH/EZD now.. It just makes laying everything out so easy.
    Emil Visti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I can't afford DFH or anything fancy like that, so I use Hydrogen and find it to be pretty damn good. I just messed about with all the default samples in Wavelab to get them to sound how I want.
    Open Words - Building an open creative writing community.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick-Ruff View Post
    I use ear buds ocasionally, but I never blast it. so I don't think I'm damaging my ears with them, but I know a few kids who definitely are.
    They probably smoke, too, huh?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So, any love for the Gibson so-called "SG bass," in reality an interpretive EB-3 reissue?

There currently are some very long deals on the so-called "Supreme," like nearly 2/3 off, but I don't much care for the washed-out looking natural finish or maple cap. It bombed in the marketplace and they couldn't even sell the four hundred units they made...of course the near-$2000 MSRP didn't help, or that Gibson substantially overrated the alleged "AAA" top (note numerous ugly flaws in that linked eBay example).

What I'd prefer is one of the cheap "Faded" versions...

...but at this point, one would cost me more than the Supreme. Eh.

The usual drawbacks: It's a short-scale, it probably has dreadful SG neck-dive, there's Gibson's notoriously risky build quality...but the original EB-3 "mudbucker" pickup has been corrected and there's not as much for Gibson to screw up on an SG, so it's not quite as risky.

What I really want is a reissue EB-0, but Gibson doesn't make them.

I dunno, maybe I'm just bored...
    Last edited by Bezmotivnik; February 23rd, 2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Increased awesomeness

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Today's Idle Musing...

Will there finally be a Fender "Broadcaster" again -- after fifty-eight years?

FMIC just bought Kaman Musical (Hamer, Ovation, etc.).

The original Fender "Broadcaster" was regarded by Gretsch Drums as being an infringement on their "Broadcaster" drum kits, so Leo came up with "Telecaster" for the new guitar's name.

When FMIC bought Gretsch guitars a few years ago, the first thing I asked Fender management was if that meant that they could use the "Broadcaster" name again for a reissue, but I was told that to everyone's disappointment, the name belonged to Gretsch DRUMS, which was owned by Kaman.

Now Kaman belongs to Fender, who now finally own the "Broadcaster" name.

Can the Fender Broadcaster rise again after fifty-eight years?

Beans
    Hidden!

They probably smoke, too, huh?
    heh, smoke what specifically? . I know one that is completely clean that just blasts them, but he owns a lot of high powered rifles and pistols so I suspect that's why he turns his up so loud. I like earbuds though, they're convienant. I can just pull one out and listen to my music while talking to people.

though, at the moment that's not really an option for me .

by the way, I like that red bass and the brown one. though, that tannish one is pretty interesting, the color is different from most guitars I see with that sort of color, I actually like that one too in an odd way . . .
    Last edited by Patrick-Ruff; February 24th, 2008 at 02:50 AM.
    -Patrick
    let the strings lead you

Beans
    Hidden!

well just a litlte update, I've been doing a lot of fretting hand and slight picking exercises with the E dorian scale and it's quite fun. I feel like I've gained a lot of speed from this.

Bezmotivnic, it seems the antibiotics they gave me have been working. my ear is barely draining and it seems that I'm actually starting to faintly get my hearing back.

I have a general question though, I'm looking to buy an effects pedal in the near future and I want to get one that's not too expensive but offers a WIDE WIDE range of sound. any suggestions off hand? I was looking at this DigiTech effects pedal that had an expression pedal built in (could someone explain how that can be used on a digital pedal, as well?)
    -Patrick
    let the strings lead you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Visti View Post
    I completely agree. I can't imagine composing stuff without DFH/EZD now.. It just makes laying everything out so easy.
    Love the avatar, McGirk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Today's Idle Musing...

Will there finally be a Fender "Broadcaster" again -- after fifty-eight years?
    That would be cool. I recall there being a Custom Shop No-caster reissue a few years back. I have no idea whether it is still available. Good pics here.

and I actually played one of the pine Esquire prototype copies Fender came out with in the late 90s.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 201 of 289 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251 ... LastLast