Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Account Action Required - Add Birthday

Beans

Google Account Action Required - Add Birthday

Lately I've started to get a recurring notification on my android phone to add my birthday to my google account to 'help google comply with the law'.
    I'm in the UK.
    Anyone else seen this?
    They suggest it is to prove I meet the minimum age requirement to hold a google account in my country (though how me putting in a number proves anything I don't see).
    My suspicion is it's really because I've never given them credit card details to use in Play Store - and that's probably where they'd like it to head as proof.
    It doesn't appear on my other two google accounts (which aren't used for android).
    I'm not really keen on giving google more info. Anyone know of a downside to supplying a false birthdate to google?
    Or does anyone know what happens if I completely ignore it?
    Thanks
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Google Account Action Required - Add Birthday

Same thing here.
    I don't reply.
    Happy user of Ubuntu-20.04 on a Beelink BT3pro mini PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Only the last part regarding being old enough to watch videos seems relevant.
    After you add your birthday to your account, you can't delete it. However, you can edit it and change who sees it.

Note: Your birthday may be used for account security and personalization across Google services.

Who can view your birthday
    By default, your birthday isn't shared with other people who use Google services. To control who sees your birthday, go to the About me section of your Google Account.

Some ways Google uses your birthday
    Google can use your birthday to:

Make sure you're old enough to use certain services and features. For example, YouTube videos with age restrictions aren't available to kids.
    Know when to show a birthday theme on the Google Search page.
    Determine your age group for personalized recommendations and ads. You can turn off personalized ads.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thanks for the replies.
    My wife has started getting the same thing on her android phone, so this seems to be a thing they've started doing. Like me she's never entered any payment details into Play Store. Friends who have bought something in Play Store aren't seeing the message so far it seems.
    The age requirement for holding an account in UK is stated as 13. I've had this account since 2014, and it's linked recovery account since 2006, so they aren't doing many sums here it seems.
    Looking at their support page it says
    'To manage your own Google Account, you must meet the minimum age requirement for the country associated with your account.
    If we have learned that you may not be old enough to manage your own account:

• You’ll have 14 days to either set up supervision for your account or verify that you’re old enough to manage your account. During this grace period you can log in and use your account as normal.
      • If your account is through work, school, or another organization, your account may not be eligible for parental supervision. If that is the case, your account will be disabled immediately. You should contact your admin if you have questions.

• If you choose not to set up supervision or verify you’re old enough to manage your account within 14 days, your account will be disabled and your account information will be deleted after 30 days.

Not surprisingly it goes on to say that you can verify your age entitlement by providing credit card details!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by maglin2 View Post
    I'm not really keen on giving google more info. Anyone know of a downside to supplying a false birthdate to google?
    make sure date is over 21 years old. 1.1.1980 would be good.

why do they need it anyway, right?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    why do they need it anyway, right?
    That's what I'm struggling to find - a full list of uses they might put it to.

I'm not anti-google - I've used their services for almost two decades, and found them more reliable and secure than most.

Their support explanations I find are non specific and incomplete though. Good example in the post from Frogs Hair above

'Note: Your birthday may be used for account security and personalization across Google services.'

No indication of how it may be used for account security, or of what else they might use it for, or what they wouldn't use it for. All might be useful if you're trying to decide whether to supply it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have also had the same message from Google and immediately deleted it. I give them as little information as I possibly can, and I am never logged in to a google account when using a browser except if I use webmail when, of course, it's unavoidable, and when I finish on that page I logout before closing the page.

Google already know far too much about me and almost everybody on Earth, so why let them have even more?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have been using the same false birthday on the internet every since the computer was invented and we were using bulletin boards because we didn't have the internet. I get Happy Birthday emails from various sites every year on the same phony birthday that I use. They don't need to know your personal business, just numbers in their spaces.
    I call this security 101. I have lived a pretty good life without anyone that disagrees with this. So far, no complainers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lie.
    Google doesn't have my real name on the accounts either.

Store your lies inside your password manager.

Beans

Thanks for the responses folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast